UN Condemns Killing of 5 Aid Workers in DRC

Children run after aid workers in charge of a refugee camp in South Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo. Photo by: Aubrey Graham / IRIN

The United Nations has strongly condemned the increasing number of attacks on humanitarian groups and workers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where five non-governmental organization staff members were killed Monday, Oct. 3.

The five were among the number of people killed in an attack in Malinda in the conflict-torn eastern region of DRC. The attack, which the United Nations said is the deadliest single assault on humanitarian workers in the country so far, happened on the same day of an assault against an NGO working in the nearby city of Uvira.

“We deplore with all our energy this aggression and all the other acts which hamper humanitarian work in DRC,” said Pierrette Vu Thi, the U.N. acting coordinator in DRC.

Vu Thi urged the DRC government to “immediately open an inquiry to find the perpetrators of this odious act so as to bring them to justice.”

The murder of the five aid workers and attack on the NGO are the latest in a growing number of offensives against humanitarian operations in DRC. The United Nations said there have been 25 such attacks, which range from extortion to hostage taking, in North Kivu and 15 in the South Kivu since August.

Read more development aid news online, and subscribe to The Development Newswire to receive top international development headlines from the world’s leading donors, news sources and opinion leaders — emailed to you FREE every business day.

About the author

  • Ivy Mungcal

    As former senior staff writer, Ivy Mungcal contributed to several Devex publications. Her focus is on breaking news, and in particular on global aid reform and trends in the United States, Europe, the Caribbean, and the Americas. Before joining Devex in 2009, Ivy produced specialized content for U.S. and U.K.-based business websites.