UN Relief Chief Reports Poor Response to Haiti Aid Appeal

United Nations Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs John Holmes warned that only 40 percent of the USD107 million Haiti funding appeal has been pledged so far. “Even that 40 per cent is nowhere near enough of what we’re going to need for the next six months or so for people in Gonaïs, and Gonaïs is not the only place affected by any stretch of the imagination,” Holmes said, adding that the series of storms in August and September were the “worst disaster in the last 100 years” to strike the Caribbean nation. The agency will soon announce a revised aid appeal “to include more early recovery elements and not just the immediate humanitarian elements,” Holmes added. (“Appeal for hurricane relief in Haiti badly under-funded, UN aid chief says” - United Nations, Oct. 27, 2008)

About the author

Join the Discussion