United States

One of France's main humanitarian organizations accused the United States on Jan. 20 of mishandling aid operations in Haiti and causing severe delays to doctors trying to bring vital help to victims of the earthquake. Francoise Saulnier, head of the legal department of aid group Medicins sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders) said days had been lost because the main airport in Port-au-Prince, now under U.S. control, had been blocked by military traffic. "We lost three days," she told Reuters Television in an interview. "And these three days have created a massive problem with infection, with gangrene, with amputations that are needed now, while we could have really spared this to those people."The aid group has complained that 5 airplanes carrying 85 tonnes of drugs and surgical supplies were turned away from Port-au-Prince since Sunday night. (Reuters)

About the author