Association of Local Authorities of Republic of Srpska (ALVRS)
Association of municipalities and towns of Republic of Srpska is established in Brčko 1998. as independent, non-political ,non-party association of local authorities directed to the supporting and promoting of local self-government.
Members of Association are municipalities and towns gathered on voluntary basis in order to exchange experiences, to improve inter cooperation and to act as one aiming on realization of joint interests defined in Association statute , laws and other legal acts.
Why do associations/coalitions of local authorities appear in all countries of Eastern and Central Europe ? Why is it useful to have an association of local authorities? Why should municipalities with already existing financial problems be ready to finance an association?
There are three motives for this:
- Together they are stronger.. Municipalities face problems of competence and financing. Competition about competence with central government and financial dependence on central government exists everywhere. Local authorities consider they could do their job much better in more decentralized conditions.
- Together they are more effective. The second motive of collaboration with association is saving of money while working together. The Association is an effective way to organize specialized activities and functions that are too expensive if municipalities would deal singly with them.
- Together they know more. The third reason for existence of the association lies in achievement of better communication.
Three ways of communication need to be mentioned:
- Horizontal communication – communication among municipalities with aim of exchange of ideas and experiences;
- Vertical communication (formulation ideas on local level and their transmission to the central level;
- Vertical communication (from bellow upwards) -transmission of new ideas (for instance, about new laws) from central to level of local authorities.
The Association of Municipalities and Towns of Republic of Srpska, is a nongovernmental organisation, which is working on promotion of effective local government and providing its support to local authorities.
The mission of the Association of Municipalities and Towns of Republic of Srpska is to promote democratic, effective and efficient local government by:
- Advocating the common interest of its members at the state leve
- Providing its members with professional services
- Creating a platform for exchange of knowledge and information
The Association's goal is to provide professional services to its members advocate their common interest at the state level, create common voice and joint platform for action at the state level and to help exchange of knowledge and experiences among its members.
Its mission is development and strengthening of local government.
The Association of Municipalities and Towns of Republic of Srpska is not a party based or political organisation.
Its main focus is on:
- Promotion of principles and values of local government,
- Development and protection of local government on principles of democracy and decentralization,
- Improvement of cooperation among local authorities and their organisation,
- Advocating common interests of its members at the state level. Initiating dialogue with representatives of the state institutions on behalf of its members.
- Cooperation with the national and international associations of local authorities.See more