Banque Centrale des Etats de l'Afrique de l'Ouest (BCEAO)
The Central Bank has the following core tasks:
- define and implement monetary policy within WAMU,
- to ensure the stability of the banking and financial system of WAMU,
- promote the smooth operation and ensure the supervision and security of payment systems in the WAMU,
- implement the WAMU's exchange rate policy in accordance with the conditions laid down by the Council of Ministers,
- manage the official foreign exchange reserves of WAMU member states.
The Central Bank may conduct, with due regard to monetary balance, specific missions or projects that contribute to improving the monetary policy environment, diversification and the strengthening of the WAMU financial system and technical and professional capacities in the banking and financial sector.