Centre for Advancement of Philanthropy (CAP) is a Mumbai-based support organisation that specialises in all the laws that regulate India's non-profit sector and in providing complete compliance solutions to organisations involved in philanthropic activity.
It was established in 1986 with a mandate to be a credible and comprehensive resource on charitable activity in India – chiefly the many and complex legalities that govern such activity – and advance the cause of philanthropy. CAP's founders were stalwarts of the time, Darius Forbes, Late H T Parekh, Late Russi Lala, and R R Chari among others.
CAP has recently evolved to offer complete legal and compliance advice and assistance in 8 core areas of their set-up and operations, enabling them to be compliant in every respect – Legal, Finance, Board Governance, Human Resources, Strategy, Communication/Reporting, Fundraising & Volunteer Management. CAP also assists corporate foundations with their corporate foundation advisory and CSR related compliance.
While their decades of work and practical knowledge in this area gives CAP an unmatched ability to address all the concerns of those who seek their advice, they also have a team of experienced consultants a commitment to the social sector.
To build a legally-compliant, well-governed, empowered philanthropic sector in India.
To create an enabling environment for the growth and development of philanthropy within and for India, for both donor and recipient organisations through:
- Reliable legal expertise
- Professionalised capacity building through skilled practitioners/management experts
- Credible researched information and data for all stakeholders
- Dissemination of sector related information via publication of resource material
- Forging mutually beneficial NGO-Corporate partnerships
- Encouraging companies to be CSR compliant and empowering them to realise their true potential
- Developing national and international networks
- Advocating with policy makers by being the leading voice for the sector
- Reliability and efficiency of their services
- Fairness in their dealings with all stakeholders
- Transparency and accountability in their work
- Sustained commitment to the work they undertake
- Nurturing innovative social solutions