Emprese Publica Metropolitana de Agua Potable y Saneamiento (EPMAPS)
"Provide drinking water and sanitation services with efficiency and corporate social responsibility"
To be a leader in sustainable and innovative public services management in the region.
Since colonial times, regulatory standards have begun to be established on water management in Quito. Thus, in the year 1535, the Cabildo de Quito had the power to legislate the use of the waters that descended from the Pichincha and the reservoirs in the lagoons so that they were not used at random or at the whim of the owners of the estancias.
In 1887, there was already the first water system from El Atacazo, which was a ditch called El Canal Municipal, which led the water to public fountains where the aguateros carried it to homes in heavy ponds earthen.
In 1902, the Congress of the Republic began the construction of works for the supply of potable water, for which it charged with 5 cts. to the consumption of aguardiente and 2 cts. for each kilo of export leather, which financed the study of water supply and canalization of Quito.
Although the studies for the design of the distribution system were carried out, it was not until May of 1906, that during the government of General Eloy Alfaro, the works of distribution of potable water and sewage canalization were declared a priority. The first Potable Water Board and Canalization of Quito was formed, which was in charge of the execution of the projects related to the provision of potable water and sewage services until November 1915, the year in which the congress decreed that water management in Quito it will pass into the hands of the Municipality of the city. During the management of the Water Board, the "El Placer" Purification Plant was built, which became operational in 1913.
Between 1925-1940 the city grew and the demand for potable water increased significantly, the search for solutions to this problem led the Company to look for more sources to increase the flow of income to the El Placer plant. By 1947, the Lloa canal had been built, providing the city with an adequate solution at that time.
In June of 1960 the Municipal Drinking Water Company was created and from that year important works were delivered to the city:
The Pita - Tambo System that feeds the Puengasí plant and serves the center and south of the city.
The project Mica - Quito Sur, whose waters are treated at the El Troje plant and serves the south of the city
The Papallacta Integrated System, which carries the raw water to the Bellavista plant and serves as a supply to the north of the city and the valleys of Tumbaco and Cumbayá.
Fifty-six years after its creation, the Company provides potable water service to 98.53% of the population of the metropolitan and sewerage districts to 92.73% of the DMQ.
They are more than 2000 servers. Today, after fifty-five years, they improved their management and governance systems of the Company to renew their commitment to service and quality.
Their job is to provide drinking water and sanitation services to the city and now they assume the responsibility of decontaminating wastewater to return cleaner water to nature.See more