Energy and Water Utilities Regulatory Authority (Tanzania)
The Energy and Water Utilities Regulatory Authority (EWURA) is an autonomous multi-sectoral regulatory authority established by the EWURA Act Cap 414 of the laws of Tanzania. It is responsible for technical and economic regulation of the electricity, petroleum, natural gas and water sectors in Tanzania pursuant to Cap 414 and sector legislation.
EWURA’s vision is “To be a World Class Regulator of Energy and Water Services.”
EWURA mission is “To Regulate the Energy and Water Services in a Transparent, Effective and Efficient Manner that Promotes Investments and Enhances the Socio Economic Welfare of the Tanzanian Society.”
The functions of EWURA include among others, licensing, tariff review, monitoring performance and standards with regards to quality, safety, health and environment. EWURA is also responsible for promoting effective competition and economic efficiency, protecting the interests of consumers and promoting the availability of regulated services to all consumers including low income, rural and disadvantaged consumers in the regulated sectors.
In carrying out its functions, EWURA shall strive to enhance the welfare of Tanzania society by:
- promoting effective competition and economic efficiency;
- protecting the interests of consumers;
- protecting the financial viability of efficient suppliers;
- promoting the availability of regulated services to all consumers including low income, rural and disadvantaged consumers;
- taking into account the need to protect and preserve the environment;
- enhancing public knowledge, awareness and understanding of the regulated sectors.See more