FONTAGRO is a unique cooperation mechanism among Latin American and Caribbean countries and Spain that promotes innovation in family farming, competitiveness, and food security.
FONTAGRO was established in 1998 with the aim of contributing to the sustainable management of natural resources, improving competitiveness, and reducing poverty through the development of technologies and innovations relevant to the society of its member countries.
At its inception, in 1998, it received special donations from the Canadian International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), together with capital contributions from its member countries, which enabled its establishment, and funded its first projects.
Throughout its history, the fund has played a leading role, not as a traditional fund for development research, but rather as a cooperation mechanism among countries.
To be an internationally recognized mechanism of cooperation for strengthening sustainable agrifood and agribusiness innovation among member countries.
To contribute to the innovation of family farming through cooperation among member countries, while promoting competitiveness and food security based on standards of equity and sustainability.
MAIN STRATEGIC THEMES ARE:
- Technological, organizational, and institutional innovation;
- Adaptation to and mitigation of climate change;
- Sustainable intensification of agriculture and natural resource management;
- Competitive territories and value chains within a framework of equity and sustainability.
- Strengthening applied research and innovation capacities in family farming within and among member countries.
- Consolidating regional and interregional platforms to respond to opportunities and challenges, strengthening the capacity of national systems as well as breaking down barriers that prevent the adoption of new knowledge and technologies.
- Improving knowledge management and result dissemination to multiply FONTAGRO’s impact, including the intensive use of social networks.
- Consolidating FONTAGRO’s financial capacity to support and strengthen innovation initiatives in member countries. This involves commitments undertaken by countries, new memberships, and negotiating with other sectors, including the philanthropic sector.
- Increasing the BoD’s exposure and participation in FONTAGRO’s activities to strengthen the fund’s vision and mission statements.