Laboratory for Analyzing Violence of the Rio de Janeiro State University (LAV-UERJ)
Linked to the UERJ Graduate Program in Social Sciences, the LAV aims to produce knowledge applied in the areas of public security, violence and crime, justice and human rights, as well as maintaining a constant interaction with the internal public. and external to the university. In addition to the development of applied research, the institution also offers consultancy services to public bodies, NGOs and social movements and works in the organization of events and seminars as well as projects that deal with the formulation, conduct and evaluation of public policies. The LAV emerges as a possibility of providing more organicity and articulation with some research, student orientation and training initiatives currently developed by professors of the Department of Social Sciences.
The LAV has as its general objectives the production of knowledge applied in the areas of public security, violence and crime, justice and human rights, as well as the maintenance of a constant interaction with an internal and external public. It is noteworthy that the institution, in addition to the development of applied research, also offers consultancy services to public bodies, NGOs and social movements, and works in the organization of courses, events and seminars, as well as projects dealing with formulation, conduction and public policy evaluation.
The laboratory thus emerges as a possibility of providing more organicity and articulation to some of the research, student orientation and training initiatives previously developed separately by the founding professors, who have been engaged for some years in the development of research in the areas of violence, crime, public safety with results widely recognized and endorsed by the scientific community.
The LAV has more specific objectives:
1. Encourage the students of the Department of Social Sciences to do work in this area, offering them effective conditions for initiation and maturation in the making of scientific work;
2. Create a permanent space for dialogue and collaboration between the various initiatives in this area developed by other academic or other institutions, providing a favorable environment for debate, especially through the organization of lectures and seminars;
3. Organize public safety training courses for students and safety professionals;
4. Consolidate the Department of Social Sciences as a reference space in the large area of violence;
5. Set up a permanently updated database as a source of information for students, researchers, the press and the general public.
6. Generate synthetic indicators to monitor the evolution of violence, crime and public safety;
7. Make the laboratory a center for monitoring and evaluating the impacts of public policies on security;
8. Contribute, with diagnoses and proposals, to the improvement of security policies in Rio de Janeiro and other centers;
9. Consolidate the Department of Social Sciences of UERJ as a partner of national and international institutions in research, monitoring and policy-making initiatives for the public security area.See more