Mediterranean Information Office for Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development (MIO-ECSDE)
The Mediterranean Information Office for Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development is a non-profit Federation of 127 Mediterranean Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) working in the fields of Environment and Development in 28 countries of the Euro-Mediterranean area.
Their mission is to protect the Natural Environment and Cultural Heritage and promote Sustainable Development in a peaceful Mediterranean by bringing together the efforts of environmental and developmental NGOs.
In co-operation with governments, international organisations, other socio-economic partners and networks, MIO-ECSDE plays an active role furthering synergies and strengthening public participation in the Mediterranean Region and its countries.
MIO-ECSDE was established in 1990 initially as a network of environmental NGOs, under a joint project of the European Environment Bureau (EEB) and Elliniki Etairia and in close collaboration with the Arab Network of Environment and Development (RAED).
The demand for institutional support from more and more Mediterranean NGOs and the increasing need for structured and constructive NGO views in regional/international fora, led to the establishment (1996) of MIO-ECSDE in its present form as an NGO Federation.
What they do
They act as a technical and political platform for the intervention of NGOs in the Euro-Mediterranean scene on resources and waste, nature, biodiversity, cultural diversity, climate change, health and environment as well as on horizontal and cross-cutting issues. In a nutshell …
…their main focal areas are:
- Biodiversity & Nature
- Climate Change
- Marine & Coastal Environment
- Water Resources
…their main lines of action are:
- Monitoring and influencing EU and regional Mediterranean policies and bodies
- Drafting, promoting and presenting common NGO positions
- Promoting Education for Sustainable Development (ESD), public awareness, public participation and access to Information
- Capacity building of specific audiences
- Networking, international collaborations & partnerships
- Facilitating Mediterranean stakeholder networks
- Advancing scientific research & provision of scientific/technical expertise