The school was founded in 1783 , at a time when mining was the high-tech industry par excellence and focused on personnel safety and economic planning issues, and even geopolitical issues (access to rare or strategic raw materials). Naturally, the skills of the School have followed the development of the industry and the School studies, develops and teaches today all the techniques useful to engineers, including the economic and social sciences.
Settled since 1816 in the heart of the Latin Quarter , in the former Hotel de Vendôme, on the edge of the Luxembourg Garden, the School was extended in 1967 to Fontainebleau
(500 m from the castle), and Corbeiland Évry (in the premises of SNECMA), finally in 1976 in the technological park Sophia Antipolis , in Valbonne near Nice.
Originally in charge of the training of civil engineers
from the Paris Mines and the State Technical Corps, the School has since the 1960s developed research and postgraduate activities ( specialized masters
), in liaison with with the industry and in partnership with the ARMINES
association (founded by the School in 1967). The School, founding member of PRES ParisTech
, continues to be at the heart of multiple projects .