NEMA was originally formed in 1954 as a spring maker and sheet metal manufacturer under the name of The Nordale Spring Company.
CAA and MOD approvals were obtained in 1957 and since that time the focus of the company has always been to supply to the Aerospace, Defence, Marine and High Voltage Switchgear Industries.
The company has been under the present ownership since 1989. In the early nineties the MOD took the decision to favour commercial quality management systems such as the ISO 9000 series of standards and hence Nordale gained ISO 9001 accredited certification.
At the turn of the millennium, the company engaged a team of highly experienced engineers to develop the manufacture of a wide range of electric actuation products, specifically for the aerospace industry.
To reflect the change of the core business, in 2003 the name of the company was changed to NEMA (Nordale Electro-Mechanical Actuation).
As the CAA approvals ceased it was decided that commercial benefit and customer needs led the company in the direction of aerospace standards and in 2005 the company achieved AS 9100 accreditation for the manufacture of Electric Motors, Electro-Mechanical Assemblies and components. This accreditation also included the springs and pressings facility.
In 2009 the scopes of both approvals were amended to include Repair and overhaul of Electro-Mechanical devices. In 2011 the scopes were further amended to include the design and development of Electric Motors, Electro-Mechanical Assemblies and components.