PROSEA - Plant Resources of South East Asia
PROSEA (Plant Resources of South East Asia) is an international cooperative program with the main goal of documenting information on plant resources in South East Asia, and making them widely available for use by the education, extension, research and industry sectors as well as for the end users. This main goal has been improved and PROSEA has vision to become a leading organization in promoting the sustainable use of plant resources of the South-East Asia region for the better livelihood of the regional communities.
The first target of PROSEA handbook is the educators which means lecturer in the university either Faculty of Forestry, Faculty of Agriculture or Botany Division or Department of Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. This handbook is also can be used by the lecturers in the Faculty of Education.
The handbook can be used for the Extension workers of Forestry and Agricultural Extension workers, researchers and Industry Sectors and as well as the individual person as end users.
PROSEA operates as an autonomous, non profit international foundation registered in Indonesia. It based in Bogor, Indonesia and jointly managed and implemented by a network of institutions in five South East Asia countries (i.e. Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam). The Netherlands was formerly involved from the beginning of its establishment as the Head Office as well as the Publication Office, and so was the Papua New Guinea as a country office, until year of 2003.
Significant changes have taken place in 2003, when the publication responsibility was transferred from the Publication Office in Wageningen, the Netherlands to the Network Office in Bogor, Indonesia. The Network Office has been developed into the PROSEA headquater, while the Wageningen University has been functioning as PROSEA Liason Office in Europe.
Their Vision :
To become a leading organization in promoting the sustainable use of plant resources of the South East Asia region for the better livelihood of the regional communities.
Their Mission :
To disseminate the existing wealth of information on the plant resources of South East Asia to various beneficiaries throughout the world through various activities at international, regional, and national levels.
To develop facilitation programmes for international research activities in the region on the plant resources of South East Asia.
To disseminate the existing wealth of information on the plant resources of South–East Asia to various beneficiaries throughout the world through various activities at international, regional, and national levels
- PROSEA Data Bank is in existence, regularly updated; readily accessible through internet, and easily available to the global communities, from which various products and services could be generated
- Provision of identification tools of plant resources, the guidelines to the management of plant resources, manuals for sustainable use of plant resources in improving local livelihood
- PROSEA supports the promotion of plant resources based sustainable agriculture and rural livelihood, and of carbon trade through the clean development mechanism, and encourages the local people for diversifying plant based commodities under sustainable use principles
To develop facilitation programmes for international research activities in the region on the plant resources of South–East Asia
- Assessment on the needs for further developed researches on plant resources in the region
- Development of collaborative research programmes on plant resources in the region with international scientific communities
All their work is funded by charitable donations. Donors include institutions, organizations and individuals. All who donate towards a specific project receive reports on the progress of that project.See more