Slovak Red Cross
MILESTONES OF THE SLOVAK RED CROSS
The activities of the Red Cross in our territory date back to the establishment of the Czechoslovak Republic. In 1879 in Hungary, the Red Cross Society was founded. In Slovakia, branches were gradually established in cities such as Banská Štiavnica, Nitra, Bratislava and Košice.
Even during the First World War, the help of the Red Cross in hospitals and infirmaries developed organizationally in our territory. Volunteer Red Cross sisters worked in almost all Slovak cities. On October 28, 1918, the first Czechoslovak Republic was established.
History has repeatedly confirmed how great a force, with an impact on all of humanity, can be hidden in a single human thought. When the young Swiss Henry Dunant decided in 1859 to organize the first volunteers to help wounded soldiers in the battle of Solferino, Italy, he had no idea that he was laying the foundation for the largest humanitarian organization in the world.
Establishment of the Red Cross
The Red Cross was born in the heart of the Swiss merchant Henry Dunant (1828-1910) on June 24, 1859, after seeing with his own eyes one of the bloodiest battles of the century, the Battle of Solferina, Italy.
International Conference in 1863
Following a meeting of the Society for the Public Welfare, an international conference was held in October 1863 in Geneva, attended by experts from 16 countries. During the conference, a distinctive emblem was adopted - a red cross on a white field (inverted Swiss flag). Its purpose was to identify and protect those who care for wounded soldiers. The Red Cross as an institution was born.
Establishment of the first national companies
At the end of the International Conference (1863), national volunteer societies were established. Later, they became known as the national societies of the Red Cross and Red Crescent.
League of Red Cross Societies
During the I. sv. During the war, the need for close cooperation between the various Red Cross societies became apparent. Henry P. Davison, president of the military committee of the American Red Cross, at an international medical conference held in April 1919 in Cannes, France, proposed to unite the Red Cross companies into one organization that would coordinate activities. The League of Red Cross Societies (since 1991 the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Cross Societies) was established by the national societies of France, Great Britain, Italy, Japan and the United States on May 5, 1919, based in Paris. Its task was to improve the health of people living in areas affected by four years of conflict. Another goal was to unite existing Red Cross societies and support the emergence of new ones. The main activities also included organizing and coordinating assistance to victims of natural disasters and epidemics. In 1939, the League's headquarters were moved to Geneva.
International Red Cross / Red Cross Movement
In 1986, the Red Cross adopted a new name: the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (sometimes the term International Red Cross is still used).
At present, the worldwide network of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement consists of 190 National Companies, 200 million volunteers and 275,000 employees.See more