Solidarity Overseas Service (SOS Malta)
History of Organisation
At its inception, SOS Malta was founded to address the hunger and poverty striken Albanians that reached the Maltese shores in ship-loads in the early nineties. Not being able to seek haven on their small island, a national campaign to assist them in need was launched. This led to the first visits of the founders of the organisation to the country.
Humanitarian aid and emergency food supplies, together with items of clothing and other basic needs first reached the Albanian shores in September 1991. After various appeals for assistance on a national level, it was soon realised that a more structured and permanent approach was needed if any difference was to be made to the quality of life of Albanians. This led to the foundation of SOS Malta as the first international NGO in Malta.
From the delivery of ship-loads of humanitarian aid, SOS Malta has developed into a development agency, providing for the long-term social, economic and political development of the people of Albania, assisting in times of crisis as happened during the collapse of the pyramid schemes in 1997 in the country as well as the Kosovo crisis in 1999.
Aims and Objectives
- SOS Malta is a non governmental organisation working in Malta and overseas
- SOS Malta assists all peoples through projects of a social and charitable nature
- SOS Malta provides assistance to the poor helping them to improve quality of life
- SOS Malta helps to enhance the knowledge and skills of those it serves
- SOS Malta advocates on behalf of the poor
- SOS Malta promotes models of good care and practice
- SOS Malta works with local and international NGO’s in order to achieve its aims
Aiding people experiencing times of crisis and empowering them by providing support services and opportunities to implement development and change in their country to ensure a better quality of life.See more