The initiative is a Mediterranean cooperation platform which currently has 15 members including 6 Mediterranean countries as well as regional civil society organizations. The MedFund is composed, on the one hand, of States with an ambitious policy in favour of the creation of MPAs and having explicitly expressed their support for the initiative.
The MedFund is composed of several organizations such as the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, the Oceanographic Institute – Prince Albert 1st of Monaco Foundation, as well as regional organizations involved in the conservation of the marine and coastal ecosystems of the Mediterranean such as the Specially Protected Area Regional Activity Centre – UN Environment -MAP, the Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund, MedPAN network of Mediterranean MPA Managers, WWF Mediterranean, IUCN Mediterranean, the French coastal protection agency Conservatoire du Littoral and the Mediterranean Small Islands Initiative.
This initiative contributes to the achievement of the objectives adopted within the framework of international and regional conventions, in particular:
- Objective 11 of Aichi, adopted within the framework of the CBD,
- the roadmap for MPA adopted under the Barcelona Convention,
- SDG n ° 14 dedicated to the Ocean and marine resources,
- The objectives relating to marine ecosystems mentioned in the Paris Agreement of the UNFCCC.
- Will act in addition to and in close coordination with existing international, regional and national systems, in particular those carried out within the framework of the Barcelona Convention.
- Contribute to the implementation of national MPA strategies.
- Strengthen existing MPAs to demonstrate their ecological, social and economic interest and stimulate the creation of new MPAs.
- Mobilize additional funding to that currently intended for Mediterranean MPAs, in particular through the implementation of innovative funding mechanisms.
- Promote the long-term financing of activities with little funding but essential for the effective management of MPAs.
- Help regional networks supporting MPA managers (capacity building, exchange of experience, etc.).See more