Université de Lomé (University of Lome)
Togo and Dahomey (presend-day Benin) shared from 1965 a higher institute known as the Institut Supérieur du Benin (ISB), whose scientific department was located in Dahomey and the literary one in Lomé, Togo.
The desire of the Togolese authorities to equip their country with an autonomous higher education institution that meets national ambitions motivated the creation of the University of Benin in 1970. At its inception, it included five (5) higher education institutes: Ecole des Lettres (EDL), Ecole Supérieure d’Administration et des Carrières Juridiques (ESACJ), Ecole Supérieure des Techniques Economiques et de Gestion (ESTEG), Ecole des Sciences (EDS) et Ecole de Médecine (EDM).
In 2001, the name “Université du Benin” was amended by decree N0. 2001-024 / PR of March 09, 2001. It became Université de Lomé (UL).
Since 2005, following the birth of the Network for Excellence in Higher Education in West Africa (REESAO), UL has resolutely embarked on a process of comprehensive reform of its training system.
The aim of this reform, which was designed to bring the University institution of Lomé into line with the world education system, concerned among others, the structuring of university time, training offers, teaching methods, administration and the management of student flows, institutional governance. The changes brought about by this new situation have led UL to leap qualitatively by officially deciding to switch to the LMD system from 2009, pursuant to Decree No. 2008-066 / PR of 21 July 2008.
From its inception to May 31, 2017, UL has known a Rector and Chancellor, a Rector, and three Presidents:
• Professor Ampah G. Johnson, Rector and Chancellor of the Universities of Togo: from 1970 to 1986 and from January 1999 to October 2003;
• Professor Komlanvi Francisco Seddoh, Rector of the University of Benin: from January 1986 to September 1995;
• Professor Nicoué Lodjou Gayibor, UL President: from October 2003 to August 2006;
• Professor Kofi Ahadzi-Nonou, UL President: from October 2006 to October 2014;
• Professor Messanvi Gbeassor, UL President: from October 2014 to May 2016.
The current UL President is Professor Dodzi Komla Kokoroko. Appointed by Presidential Decree No. 2016-065 / PR of May 11, 2016, he took over on May 31, 2016.See more