The development of the School of Electrical Engineering has been closely related to the history of university education in Serbia. The first lecture on electrical engineering in higher education took place as early as 1894. It was given by professor Stevan Markovic, the founder of the Electrical Engineering Department of the engineering study programme of Belgrade Higher School, which became Belgrade University in 1905. Four years after his first lecture, professor Markovic created an electrical engineering lab, which marked the beginning of electrical engineering study programme at Belgrade University. The first generation of students graduated in 1922.
The reorganization of the School of Engineering which took place in 1935 significantly broadened educational opportunities for electrical engineers. The Mechanical Engineering Department became the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, which consisted of four study programmes: Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautics, Energetics, and Telecommunications. The Second World War interrupted the development of study programmes, so Telecommunications, for example, had to wait the end of the war to become fully equipped. A year after the war, Belgrade University established the Department of Electrical Engineering, which became the School of Electrical Engineering in 1948. At first the School had two study programmes: Eneregetics and Telecommunications but already in 1955 Physical Electronics study programme was also established.
Over the years, the Telecommunications study programme expanded and included more areas of electronics, control engineering and computer science. The fourth study programme - Computer Science and Informatics was established in 1987.
Where is University of Belgrade - Faculty of Electrical Engineering