Zambia Association of Sisterhoods (ZAS)
The Zambia Association of Sisterhoods (ZAS) was founded in 1958, it is a Roman Catholic institution, a collaborative body of faith-filled, prophetic women, Religious at the Service of the transforming mission of the church.
As an association of all women Religious Congregations in Zambia, ZAS brings together all congregations to express the communion that unites them. Through collaborating together, they help one another to discern and fulfil God’s Plan, in communion with the church.
When ZAS was created, it had no offices to operate from as such the sisters used to move from convent to convent. This went on until 1975 when a room was reserved as a ZAS office at Kalundu Study Centre where ZAS has been operating since then. In 2009, new offices for ZAS were constructed at Kalundu Study Centre.
At the time of its founding, the aim of ZAS was to attain a deeper understanding of the problems of African girls and women, to share views, hopes, plans and expertise for the betterment of the sisters’ Apostolates. The Association has grown since its inception.
The membership of ZAS has in the recent past grown from it just having a membership of a 12 Religious congregations to 47, with 1472 sisters. 1022 are Indigenous Zambians while 450 are Missionary sisters.
ZAS is organized to function through the following structures
- 11 Diocesan branches. These are Chipata, Kabwe, Kasama, Livingstone, Lusaka, Mansa, Mongu, Monze, Mpika, Ndola and Solwezi.
- The National Executive Committee and Secretariat.
- The General Assembly
- To promote the spiritual welfare and development of women religious in Zambia.
- To foster communication and cooperation between member institutes.
- To work on matters of common concern to all Religious Institutes and Societies of Apostolic Life.
- To assist the sisters in giving effective service to the church and society.
The Vision Statement
"Prophetic religious women, at the service of the transforming Mission of the Church""
The Mission Statement
‘‘Inspired by the gospel values, Zambia Association of Sisterhoods is committed to supporting women religious in their formation and evangelising mission, by offering relevant programs that meet their diverse development and spiritual needs.’’See more