A passionate and motivated professional with more than 25 years of experience in SME development and a genuine interest in providing communities with increased employment opportunities and the ability to create a sustainable, improved standard of living. I have professional leadership and advisory experience in business development services, MSME program development, microfinance, institutional capacity development, value chain development, project management, professional training, and much more. Have completed Post-graduate studies at the Cranfield School of Management, the Canadian Foreign Services Institute, and the Arab Academy for Science and Technology, along with multiple developmental courses and diplomas that have further developed my skills in leadership, motivational coaching, programs implementation, process improvement, and gender sensitivity. I also have solid experience in designing responsive, sustainable and gender-sensitive results-based interventions for SME development. I have experience working for major international development organizations, including the World Bank, UNDP, UNICEF, ILO, UNHCR, GIZ, CIDA, USAID, ACDI, NEF, EU, Maxwell Stamp, Plan International and others. My international experience includes work in Canada, Egypt, Jordan, Yemen, Sudan, Ghana, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Bosnia and Guyana.
• Under two different contracts with ILO, and UNDP successfully conducted two value chain development missions in Egypt and in Jordan to integrate Syrian refugee workers into the Jordanian and the Egyptian workforce. The missions included economic sector assessments, value chain assessment and the analysis of the following sectors; dairy, readymade garment, handcrafts, and foodservices.
• Under various short and long term contracts with UNCDF, UNDP and Global Affairs Canada, successfully monitored and evaluated various SMEs and value chains programs in Bosnia, Yemen, and Egypt.
• Under an ILO contract, successfully enhanced the institutional capacity of several horticulture value chain stakeholders to effectively manage pro-poor external market oriented initiatives in Egypt.
• Under an ILO contract, developed a policy paper for the Sudanese government as part of the youth employment strategy in Sudan.
• Developed a strategic plan for the Saudi Arabian Industrial Development Fund enabling them to restructure their guarantee financial mechanism for SMEs and to expand their operations from managing a portfolio of US$ 85 million to US$500 million.
• Under two different contracts with USAID and CIDA, successfully participated in developing two SMEs’ national strategy for both Ghanaian’s and Egyptian governments.
• Successfully managed the regional Upper Egypt operations of a $20M Business Development Services Project (Staff of 12 plus consultants) funded by CIDA which provided tens of thousands of SMEs with access to sustainable non-financial services, and in cooperation with governmental and non-governmental organizations developed an infrastructure for business development services in 10 governorates. Conducted value chain analysis and managed interventions for the following economic sectors; honey, fancy molasses, handcrafts, tourism, and dairy.
• Under a contract with the World Bank in Yemen, participated in the establishment of the Yemeni Social Fund for Development which successfully implemented sustainable SME programs that provided financial and non-financial services to thousands of micro and small enterprises in Yemen.