• Experienced Energy Lawyer and Negotiator in private and public sector (40 years)
• Successful senior executive (20 Years) and Board member of oil and gas companies (19 years)
• Extensive experience in developing nations, PNG, South Sudan, (Tunisia, Colombia, Venezuela as executive of Ampolex Ltd.)
• Advisor to PNG government under ADB and World Bank contracts, contract from Cardno supported by Australian Department of Foreign and Trade, and contracts from Government of PNG direct.
• Consultant advising and legislative development within Department of Justice PNG on extractive industry and Constitutional matters generally within State Solicitor's Office
• Pre-loan evaluations for ADB related to PNG LNG project
• Team member for State Team negotiating Gas to Australia Project Agreement 2001-2006
• World Bank contract 2016 to advise Government of South Sudan on Oil and Gas and develop revisions to Petroleum Act and devise policy and draft related regulations relating to the production of oil and gas
• Contract to develop policy and draft PNG Mining Health and Safety Act and Regulations funded by World Bank through DMPGM (PNG)
• Developed policy and drafted coal and coal seam gas chapter of PNG Mining Act and Regulations
• 2018 commissioned to review and redraft the Mining Act 1992, after the Otto review 2012-2014 and ensuing criticisms by Industry.
• 2018/2019 contract through Cardno and DFAT Australia to advise on new LNG project development, mentor and train junior legal staff.
Summary of Career Milestones
• 12 year career in Australian Public Service in Departments of Treasury, Defence and Business and Consumer Affairs;
• 12 year career with Esso / Exxon as oil and gas production lawyer in Sale, Victoria, and Houston, Texas
• 7 years as General Counsel of Ampolex Limited, a large Australian oil and gas company
• Consultant lawyer to Keppel Offshore and Marine, Singapore, part time 1997 - 2006
• PNG Department of Petroleum and Energy, 2001 to 2008, conducting seminars for national lawyers, revising the Oil and Gas Act 1998, and preparing Regulations
• PNG Department of Mineral Policy and Geohazard Management -review and amendment of Mining (Safety) Act 1977 and Regulations (World Bank funded), drafted Mining Health and Safety Act and Regulations
• Director of Singapore Petroleum Company Limited 2000-2009
• Director of Vermilion Oil and Gas Australia 2004-2016
• Director of Cue Energy 2011 -2015, Chairman 2012-2015
• Chairman Phoenix Oil and Gas Limited 2008- 2014
• Deputy Chairman High Peak Royalties 2014 -present
legislation / regulations
oil / gas
Interested in learning more about this Devex member?
With a Recruitment Account, you can view the full profile & CV for this member and other professionals around the world. Click here to know more!
Already a member? Just sign in.
Orjoin to message other community members on Devex.