ABA ROLI seeks a full-time Deputy Chief of Party to provide senior leadership of programs supporting access to justice and the rule of law in the Philippines, under the supervision of the Country Director (CD) and ABA ROLI Asia/Pacific Director (located in Washington, DC). Based in Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines, the role will function as the Deputy Chief of Party for an anticipated 3-year program increasing citizens’ awareness of rights and access to legal aid services, strengthening alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, and supporting the fair and efficient administration of justice. Funding is expected for this position until at least September 2021.
The duties of this post include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Establishing and managing one or more major programs in the Philippines, including ensuring program goals are met, resources are utilized in accordance with budgets, and monitoring and evaluation are undertaken;
- Ensuring compliance with donor requirements and ABA policies;
- Acting on behalf of the program Chief of Party if required;
- Initiating, nurturing and expanding working relationships with government, CSOs, academic institutions and others in the Philippines involved in the areas of access to justice and rule of law;
- Developing and monitoring budgets in cooperation with Finance and Program staff;
- Managing program staff and providing coaching, development and discipline as required;
- Understanding the changing operational and political environment and keeping senior management informed;
- Supporting the strategic development of existing and new programs;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in legal practice, rule of law/justice development, and/or a related field;
- Law degree or a master’s degree in the social sciences;
- Solid and thorough understanding of the socio-political context of the Philippines;
- Extensive experience working in the Philippines;
- Experience working with donor-funded projects, ideally with familiarity with U.S. regulations;
- Experience managing staff;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with Filipino government entities, CSOs, academic institutions and other stakeholders relevant to promoting access to justice;
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively in English and Tagalog;
- High degree of organization, professionalism, integrity, trustworthiness and flexibility;
- Ability to use discretion when working with confidential documents and information;
- Ideally, experience working in a non-profit/association/CSO setting;
- Ability to travel throughout the Philippines.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date. References will be collected only for interviewed candidates. Salary and benefit details will only be discussed with candidates selected for interviews.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.