ABA ROLI is seeking part-time local and international wildlife trafficking/wildlife crime expert consultants to support our initiatives to counter wildlife trafficking in Sri Lanka.
The consultants will provide high-level expertise to ABA ROLI and its partners in Sri Lanka, in support of ABA ROLI’s work on countering wildlife trafficking (CWT) program in South Asia, in cooperation with Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS). ABA ROLI’s CWT programming is specifically focused on training for law enforcement, prosecutors and judges in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh on wildlife crimes and the links with other transnational crimes, such as money laundering and illicit financial networks. S/he will work closely with ABA ROLI’s Sri Lanka and Washington, DC offices, and with WCS’s Bangladesh office.
- Providing substantive, technical expertise on CWT issues, based on international standards, laws and Sri Lankan law;
- Providing strategic advice on substantive programming and activities;
- Participating in training opportunities within the host country;
- Developing program related materials in coordination with ABA ROLI experts and program partners;
- Assists in identifying best practices derived from lessons learned and adapting curricula accordingly;
- Assisting in design and implementation of workshops, training sessions, public awareness activities, and other program activities in collaboration with Washington, DC office and other field staff;
- Performs other related duties as required.
The ideal candidates will have expertise in the following areas of work or a combination of a few areas of work related to wildlife trafficking/wildlife crime:
1) Demonstrated expertise on wildlife trafficking, wildlife crimes and related transnational crimes, and environmental crimes in Sri Lanka and/or internationally;
2) Experience providing legal advice and/or conducting litigation on cases on wildlife trafficking and wildlife crimes and related criminal offences in Sri Lanka and/or internationally;
3) Prosecutorial experience on wildlife trafficking and wildlife crimes and related offenses within the Sri Lankan prosecution system and/or internationally;
4) Adjudication experience as a judge on wildlife trafficking, wildlife crimes and related offenses within the Sri Lankan judicial system and/or internationally;
5) Demonstrated experience advising, designing, and implementing training curricula on themes linked to wildlife trafficking for the Justice sector (law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges) in Sri Lanka and/or internationally;
- Relevant Masters’ degree or law degree.
- At least 10 years of direct experience on the areas of expertise mentioned above within the government or INGO sector.
- A sound understanding of wildlife, forest, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and related laws in Sri Lanka.
- Demonstrated experience advising, designing, and implementing training programs and developing resources for the justice sector.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with government and civil society partners.
- Fluency in English .
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates whose services we will require as and when the requirements arise.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html