ABA ROLI seeks a Pro Bono Long Term Legal Specialist (LTLS) for four to twelve months for its programs in China, who will be based in Hong Kong, with travel within China. The LTLS will work with the Program Director to develop, implement, and evaluate ABA ROLI’s rule of law programs in China. The LTLS will also carry out business development activities to promote ABA ROLI’s programs and develop cooperative working relationships with new partners for program collaboration and funding opportunities. Our programs cover a broad range of substantive areas, including women’s rights and LGBT rights, and our programming approaches include pilot projects, capacity building, and practical research to support policy reform. Competitive candidates will have a background in China and the Chinese legal system, familiarity with women’s rights and/or LGBT issues, experience living and/or working in China, and will be proficient in Mandarin. The LTLS will receive a generous support package that covers travel, housing, and general living and business expenses.
- Assisting with the design, implementation, and evaluation of our China programs, including contributing to new program design and innovative and effective approaches to program implementation
- Participating in and providing technical assistance to program activities conducted by program partners
- Maintaining a cooperative working relationship with program partners and other development partners in China, including carrying out business development activities to seek internal and external partners for new program collaboration and funding opportunities
- Ensuring compliance with legal and donor requirements, including producing quarterly and final program reports
- Assisting with the development of grant proposals
- Providing China-specific substantive support and advising on strategic planning
- Other duties as needed.
- Must have a Juris Doctor degree and three to five years of experience working on women’s rights or LGBT issues and/or on implementation of rule of law development programs in Asia
- Strong research, writing, and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with the Chinese legal system, as well as the current political, administrative, economic, and socio-cultural context in China
- Rule of law expertise in one or more of the following areas: criminal justice, environmental protection, legal professional education, capacity building, public participation, and access to justice
- Experience working for or with an association, NGO, or other not-for-profit organizations
- Experience in designing and implementing grant-funded development projects
- Proficiency in both written and spoken standard Chinese (Mandarin)
Interested parties may send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.