The Staff Attorney works at the direction of the Program Director responsible for management of an ABA ROLI project to train Young Law Professors in interactive teaching methods. The Staff Attorney is responsible as a component leader for the deliverables due on the project as the Program Manager and Country Director shall require.
- Working with Program Director and Legal Specialists to develop, implement and conduct programs including:
- Legislative and regulatory drafting,
- Planning and conducting seminars, workshops and other training events (to include logistical arrangements, preparation of substantive materials, and oversight of other local services providers) and,
- Preparing legal reports and assessments on substantive programmatic issues;
- Monitoring legal and other relevant political and policy developments and reports on them to Program Director and other ABA personnel as necessary;
- Representing ABA at meetings with local partners and/or members of the international community;
- Preparing legal analysis and background materials;
- Assisting with liaison/specialists orientation;
- Communicating with local and regional partners on behalf of the ABA as directed by the Program Director;
- Participating in ABA ROLI annual meetings and staff trainings;
- Any other relevant duties as determined by the Program Director to be necessary to the position.
- Law degree;
- Fluency in Arabic and excellent written and verbal English language skills;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a position requiring a law degree;
- Experience working in or with the Egyptian court system;
- Understanding and awareness of key stakeholders in the Egyptian judiciary; and
- Management experience;
- Commitment to ABA programmatic objectives;
- Integrity and adherence to the highest standards of ethics, confidentiality and performance;
- Flexibility in approach to changes in programmatic needs;
- Ability to take initiative and cope effectively under pressure;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Team player, able to mentor other staff in developing skills and to assist other staff when needed;
- Professional demeanor, including tact and diplomacy in dealing with people.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
For more information on this program please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/where_we_work/middle_east/egypt.html
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html