JOB TITLE: Accounting Manager
LOCATION: Los Angeles, CA
REPORTS TO: Global Controller
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 plus countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We provide support to vulnerable groups living in fragile settings, as they cope with natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them. RI works in three regions; Asia, Africa and the Middle East, with Global Support Offices in London, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles.
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for Global completeness and accuracy of the General Ledger transactions and Consolidate Balance Sheet accounts balances for the organization. The Accounting Manager will be heavily involved in month-end close and annual audits of the two entities (US/UK). The position interfaces heavily with the accounting and financial reporting and other business units finance functions. The position will manage and oversee headquarter accounting and other functional areas including accounts payable, payroll, general ledger, and audit support.
- Lead Global reconciliation of Consolidated Balance Sheet by working in collaboration with Country Finance Managers.
- Provide leadership and accounting guidance to headquarter accounting and finance team
- Proactively manage headquarter monthly activities including adjusting journal entries, reconciliations, and account analysis that ensures timely month-end close
- Oversee timely processing of headquarter Vendor/Employee Payments and Bi-Weekly Payroll
- Lead and coordinate the preparation and review of year-end audit balance schedules for headquarter offices and country offices.
- Assist with preparation and review of tax schedules and documentations for Annual Tax (Form 990) fillings
- Enforce accounting policies and GAAP; identify accounting issues and determine the appropriate treatment under generally accepted accounting principles in the U.S. (“GAAP”)
- Implement, assess and manage processes around journal entries, reconciliations, detailed account analysis in the context of period-end closes
- Manage intercompany transactions and balances
- Provide support for external and internal audits with respect to GL and headquarter activities
- Supports system implementation team on the integrations impact on the GL
- Interface with other stakeholders and ensure adherence to policies and standard processes; and
- Support the Controller and the CFO on special projects, as needed
Skills & Experience required:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- 5-7 years of progressive accounting and auditing experience, including at least 3 years of project and fund accounting.
- Education: B.Sc. Accounting or related (7yrs); Masters in Accounting or CPA (5yrs)
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills, and detail oriented
- Strong knowledge of Not-for-Profit accounting and GAAP
- Preferred experience with International Non-Governmental Organization
- Demonstrated abilities to work and manage across multi-functional units, and drive resolution on critical issues
- Organized and able to independently manage multiple projects under strict deadlines
- Proven ability to understand, streamline and automate complex processes
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically with ability to run pivot tables, data validations, charts, and advanced formulas in Excel.
- Knowledge of accounting and reporting software; preferred application skills include proficiency in Global ERP such as NetSuite (Oracle), Microsoft Dynamics, etc.)
- Cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently.
- Very strict attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Candidate must be authorized to work in the United States without requiring sponsorship either now or in the future.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence.
We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
· Transparency and Accountability
· Agility and Innovation
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.