Summary: Leads and manages an accounting team to complete daily, weekly, monthly and annual accounting tasks and activities. Provides training, support, and guidance to accounting staff, including training on accounting software, Pathfinder accounting policies and procedures, compliance with GAAP, US Government and other donor requirements, and addressing other needs relating to accounting. Conducts and maintains audit proof accounting transactions and records.
The position is assigned to Pathfinder’s Accelerating Universal Access to Family Planning (AUAFP) project in Bangladesh. AUAFP is a five year multi-million dollar project funded by USAID. The project aims to strengthen and expand access to quality family planning services through a collaborative health system capacity building partnership with the government of Bangladesh, specifically through a flexible implementation model led in partnership with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, including the National Institute of Population Research and Training, the Directorate General of Family Planning, and the Directorate General of Health Services.
Key Job Outcomes:
- Accounting Goal Setting: Sets and achieves annual goals specific to US processing of accounting, payroll, accounts payable and cash management. Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient processes and procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy and timeliness. On time payment to vendors.
- Monthly and Year-End Closings: Ensures the timely and accurate recording of financial information and reconciliations to facilitate the monthly and year-end closings. Monthly VAT Coupon Reporting to USAID.
- Consolidation Coordination: Manages consolidation process to ensure global consolidation allocations and processes are accurately recorded on time.
- Transactional Reporting Data: Interfaces with other departments to verify transactional reporting data. Payroll payment in compliance with Bangladesh Government rules and regulations. Regular payment of Payroll Taxes to Bangladesh Government.
- Management and Supervision: Manages, supervises and develops a staff to complete day-to-day activities.
- Training and Development: Provides training on accounting related topics as they relate to other business unit staff.
- Audit Preparation: Monitors to ensure financial reviews and analysis are carried out to facilitate a smooth annual audit process at the end of the year. Coordinates work paper preparation for the A-133 annual audit review. Liaises with the external audit firm.
- Accounting Records: Supports the maintenance of the accounting records of the organization in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and grant requirements.
- Project Management and Participation: Leads, manages or participates on cross-functional project teams Must work as Team with Procurement, HR, and Administration Department.
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
- Accounting Principles, Regulations and Practices: Advanced knowledge of and proven ability to apply accounting principles, standards, guidelines, and practices. Advanced knowledge of FAR and GAAP.
- Reporting: Proven ability to provide required reports specific to finance and accounting activities.
- Reconciliation: Proven ability to reconcile accounts.
- Consolidation Process: Proven ability to manage the consolidation process.
- Audit Process: Advanced knowledge of the audit process, standards and guidelines.
- Systems and Tools: Advanced knowledge of accounting software applications. Proven ability to apply third party software for reporting and analytics (JET).
- Leadership and Management: Proven ability to lead, supervise and coach members of staff in different locations.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Foundational knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services of assigned program, including program strategies and indicators.
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Analysis and Sound Judgement: Advanced analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Languages: Proven ability to write and speak using local language and English language
- Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media, and in particular, financial reports. Proven ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
- Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Proven ability to influence using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. In-depth demonstrated customer service skills.
- Organization, Planning and Multi-tasking: Mastery of organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate audit activities, and reporting, budget development and analysis activities.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment, and ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues
Minimally Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Management with an emphasis in Accounting, or related field, or equivalent
- 8 years’ professional finance and accounting experience
- Must be familiar with USAID VAT Coupons and Bangladesh Tax issues.
- 4 years’ experience managing and supervising an accounting and finance staff
- Work experience with USAID Projects in Bangladesh.
- Work experience in audit firms will be preferred.
- Travel may be required in project working areas.
- Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
About the Organization
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.