Job DescriptionACR Education Technical Specialist (STTA)
Afghanistan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Activity (AMELA)
The purpose of AMELA is to provide monitoring, evaluation, and learning support services/assistance to strengthen the implementation of USAID development programs in Afghanistan, and to build the technical M&E knowledge and skills of USAID/Afghanistan Mission staff and stakeholders. The services provided under AMELA will contribute to supporting USAID/Afghanistan as an effective development organization with strong learning and adaptive management processes.
USAID has tasked AMELA to undertake a mid-term evaluation of the of All Children Reading (ACR) Activity. ACR is a USAID-funded primary education initiative designed to improve equitable access to education and generate measurable improvements in reading outcomes for girls and boys in Afghanistan. ACR supports education service delivery through building the capacity of the Ministry of Education (MoE) to provide an evidence-based early grade reading (EGR) program (in Dari and Pashto) for students in Grades 1 to 3 in both formal and Community-Based Education (CBE) schools. It is intended that strengthened skills, systems, models and materials enable future development of additional local mother-tongue languages into the national reading curriculum.
**Only Afghan citizens are eligible for this position.**
MSI is currently seeking experienced education researchers to assist in the evaluation of ACR activity. Under the supervision of the Team Lead and Evaluation Manager technical specialists will play an important part in the evaluation, assisting the team with conducting interviews, focus groups, and other forms of data collection. They will also be expected to perform notetaking as needed, assist in logistical arrangements as needed, and participate in the data analysis.
The researchers will work as part of an assignment team and will generally be needed to play an important role in collecting data, providing contextual and background knowledge during the assignment process, and assisting in the analysis and report writing as necessary. This evaluation will require the ability to travel to areas around Afghanistan Kabul, Herat, Laghman, Nangarhar (security permitting), and experience working as part of a multi-cultural, and multi-disciplinary team. The researcher will work up to 64 days.
- Assist evaluation managers in designing evaluation tools and translating them into local languages.
- Provide insight into the education system.
- Undertake key informant interviews and focus group discussions as needed.
- Assist in translation tasks as needed.
- Provide technical analysis, information, and guidance during all phases of the assignment as required.
- Support the AMELA assignment team and USAID to establish and maintain productive collaborative relationships with a wide range of partners and stakeholders.
- Facilitate, participate in, and contribute to technical and coordination meetings, workshops, and other events as needed for the evaluation.
- Participate in presentations and dissemination efforts as needed.
- Assist AMELA staff as needed in project management.
- Additional relevant duties as prescribed by AMELA management.
- At least four (4) years of experience in Monitoring & Evaluations or Research mainly conducting interviews, FGDs and data collection in the field of development and gender related issues.
- A bachelor’s degree in development studies, social science, or relevant discipline is required.
- Experience and expertise in various forms of evaluation and qualitative and quantitative research.
- A record of working on assignments that have delivered high quality reports to USAID and other donors.
- Experience in social science and research, which may include rigorous mixed-method evaluation desirable.
- Experience working with USAID and/or other international donors preferred.
- Exceptional written and oral English language skills required.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.