Are you passionate about advancing gender equality? Do you know how to inspire people to be effective gender equality advocates? Do you share our vision for a more equal world for children?
Save the Children’s Gender Equality Policy posits that a focus on gender equality is fundamental to achieving our vision for all children. Since the launch of this policy in 2017, Save the Children US has set a course for its renewed commitment to gender equality by creating a Gender Equality Team, developing its first ever Gender Equality Strategy in 2019 and launching an inter-departmental, cross-functional Gender Equality Hub to spearhead the implementation of the strategy.
Working with the Associate Vice President, Gender Equality, the Gender Advisor will provide leadership in ensuring the gender equality perspective is mainstreamed across all programs. Working closely with program teams and the Gender Equality Hub, the Gender Advisor will support program development processes, conduct gender analysis, build staff capacity and support the development of technical approaches.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
Technical Leadership (30%)
- Provide leadership in identifying gender issues within programs and developing strategies for strengthening the integration of gender equality across all programs
- Support the development of Save the Children’s global framework and guidance on preventing and addressing child marriage.
- Build staff capacity on the application of the gender equality lens across program cycle
- Participate in and contribute to external technical working groups on issues related to gender equality, gender-based violence, and inclusive development.
- Develop innovative approaches to advancing gender equality, promoting inclusive development, and preventing and addressing gender-based violence.
Program Development (35%)
- Participate in the development of proposals to US government, foundations and private donors.
- Support mainstreaming of gender equality into program activities, budgets and workplans
Gender Analysis (35%)
- Lead and/or support gender analysis processes, including study design, staff training, data collection and data analysis.
- Provide ongoing technical support for the development, implementation and evaluation of programs with gender equality outcomes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology, Gender Studies or Anthropology, or relevant equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 7 years of related experience including significant experience in international development with a focus on gender equality and social inclusion.
- Experience conducting intersectional gender analysis, including study design, data collection and analysis.
- Proven technical expertise in a broad range of programs and strategies including but not limited to: advancing gender equality in childhood, addressing harmful gender norms, preventing and responding to gender-based violence, preventing child marriage, women’s economic empowerment, and constructive engagement of men and boys.
- Experience providing technical assistance in developing funding applications from US government, multilaterals, foundations and private donors.
- Experience developing and delivering training and capacity building programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiastic and infectious approach to challenges
- Able and willing to travel internationally up to 30% of the time
- Relevant Advanced Degree desirable.
Why you should join the Save the Children Team
Save the Children US offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, pet insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, family leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, dress for your day, and much more.
Click here to learn more about how Save the Children US will invest in YOU!
About the Organization
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.