The programme supports the African Union (AU) towards improved implementation of its commitments in the field of good governance and human rights through African Governance Architecture (AGA) Platform Members, relevant actors and Member States. There are six main Implementing Partners. These partners are represented by high level political appointees, institutionally located in five different AU Member States in Ethiopia, Gambia, Lesotho, South Africa and Tanzania. The programme Strengthening Good Governance and Human Rights in Africa – African Governance Architecture is part of GIZ’s portfolio with the AU and is implemented from Addis Ababa.
- Planning and implementation of the programme priority area Good Governance
- Support the AGA Secretariat in the execution of its mandate
- Provide strategic technical advice and expertise to the relevant Implementing Partners
- Coordination, support research and knowledge management measures for the programme
- Coordination and support capacity development measures for the partners
- Contribute to drafting and development of concept papers, proposals, briefing notes and briefs, as may be required
- Support monitoring and evaluation measures as may be required for the programme and the partners
- Master’s degree in law, political science, international relations, development studies or related fields, ideally with a focus on African related development policy and governance
- Many years of experience on the African continent
- Experience in working with AGA Platform Members or any of the African Union Organs
- Experience with continental and international organizations in topics such as good governance, economic development and social development is of advantage
- Proven work experience in international development cooperation organizations
- Knowledge in assessing impact of Governance and Socio-Economic Development projects
- Strong writing and research skills as well as cultural sensitivity, teamwork and communication skills
- Fluency in English
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations. You can find further information in the Guide to the Collective Agreement on Assignment Conditions in Fragile Contexts.
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Ethiopia.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
About the Organization
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.