Assistant Director, Fulbright Foreign Student Program
AMIDEAST is the leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training, and development activities exclusively in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). We offer generous paid leave and a great 401k with up to 6% matching.
The Assistant Director is a key member of the 20-person unit charged with managing the U.S. Department of State’s Fulbright Foreign Student Program in the Middle East and North Africa. The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government in partnership with binational Fulbright Commissions and U.S. embassies abroad. The Fulbright Program, established in 1946 under legislation introduced by then-Senator J. William Fulbright of Arkansas, is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries.
This position will assist the Fulbright Program Director in the daily administration of the program, as follows:
- Oversee project staff in the placement, supervision and monitoring of international exchange participants;
- Communicate with exchange participants, the Department of State, AMIDEAST field offices, Fulbright Commissions, U.S. academic institutions and other program stakeholders concerning program-related matters;
- Promote the Fulbright Program to U.S. academic institutions through campus visits, presentations, and other outreach efforts;
- Represent Fulbright and AMIDEAST at U.S. professional conferences;
- Coordinate and conduct staff trainings in program policies, procedures, and systems;
- Oversight of Program outreach efforts, to include assisting the Director in oversight of AMIDEAST’s field offices program operations as well as outreach efforts.
- Assist with the development of project guidelines and operational systems for efficient program administration;
- Monitor staff compliance with program policies and procedures;
- Serve as Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO);
- Assist with creating and revising program documents and manuals;
- Assist with annual Fulbright Foreign Student Program proposal submission;
- Assist with overall financial management and reporting;
- Serve as Director in the absence of the Program Director;
- Manage a student caseload, including forecasting student costs, developing individual grant budgets, approving grant payments and tracking student disbursements;
- Seek and negotiate financial aid opportunities from U.S. universities on behalf of students;
- Assist in the development and planning of re-entry and enrichment workshop activities for foreign students;
- Draft statistical and narrative reports.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in international cultural or educational exchange programs
- Knowledge of J-1 exchange visitor program regulations, prior ARO experience desirable
- Proven supervisory and/or team leadership experience
- Experience with monitoring and reporting on U.S. government cooperative agreements and/or grants
- Proposal writing experience
- Familiarity with monitoring program budgets and maintain and organize a large amount of detailed information (ex: financial and exchange participant related information)
- Familiarity with higher education in the United States., including graduate admissions and student advising
- Proficiency with MS Office, particularly Excel
Please provide a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to http://jobs.amideast.org
AMIDEAST is an Equal Opportunity Employer-Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disability/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
About the Organization
AMIDEAST is a leading American non-profit organization engaged in international education, training and development activities in the Middle East and North Africa.
Founded in 1951, AMIDEAST in its early years focused on promoting U.S. study to students in the MENA region and managing U.S. scholarships and exchanges such as the flagship Fulbright Foreign Student Program. While these important programs continue apace, our work has expanded significantly.
Today AMIDEAST programs and services touch the lives of half a million individuals a year – improving educational opportunities and quality, strengthening local institutions, and developing language and professional skills critical for success in the global economy.