Assistant Manager - Economic Growth, London, United Kingdom
Coffey International Development, a Tetra Tech Company
£30,000 - £36,000 a year - Full-time, Permanent, London Based with travel
Coffey has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID), Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and USAID. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people’s lives.
Coffey now offers a fantastic opportunity to join our growing Economic Growth practice in the UK. We have recently commenced new long-term contracts with DFID, including the £50m Kenya “Sustainable Urban Economic Development” (SUED) program, the multi country £15.5m “Africa Clean Energy” (ACE) program and the £67.5m “LINKS-Powering Economic Growth in Northern Nigeria” Program. Added to our existing portfolio this is an exciting time to join us and be involved in our work to channel the power of the market to benefit the lives those currently living in extreme poverty. We work across a range of issues including market systems development; policy reform and advocacy for better business environments; urban development, energy, and innovation.
As an Assistant Manager in the Economic Growth practice you will manage various activities relating to the project cycle from business development, project management and technical delivery to client relationship management.
The main responsibilities of this role include:
- Managing small projects / workstreams or contributing to the management of larger projects and successful delivery of projects overseas; with responsibility for ensuring programme and milestone delivery; close oversight of the budget; and technical and financial reporting in line with contract requirements.
- Contributing to business development opportunities, including successful development of both pursuits and full tenders. This will include contributing to the development of technical ideas, formation of teams, development of budgets, writing of technical and commercial bid sections.
- Undertaking technical advisory work on a short-term basis to support project implementation as needed.
- Developing and maintaining strong networks and relationships with clients, partners, and consultants, and assist in the development of other team members.
The precise mix of the above will vary over time, with greater or lesser amounts of each area as project needs dictate.
Overall it is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking to thrive within a friendly and dynamic team, with real opportunities for growth. You will be based in London, UK, but with opportunity for in-country travel.
- At least two – three years prior experience, preferably working for an international development consulting firm, and definitely in the development sphere
- Technical knowledge of economic growth, market development, and business environment reform in developing countries.
- Knowledge of the procurement cycle in the international development sector. Previous experience working on DFID bids is highly desirable.
- Project management experience on donor funded projects in developing countries
- Outstanding communication skills in English (both oral and written), and ability to work in a multinational, multicultural environment.
- Degree level educated, preferably with a Masters in a relevant subject (e.g. international development, social sciences, international relations or equivalent)
- Willingness to travel to other permanent offices of the business and to project locations, including fragile and conflict affected states, as required.
No CVs will be accepted from Recruitment Agencies.
Applicants must have the Right to Work in the UK to apply for this position.
Applications close: 6 March 2020
About the Organization
Our European team is formed from the renowned international development operations of Coffey (www.coffeyeurope.com) and WYG (https://www.wyg.com/international-development).
Since Coffey was acquired by Tetra Tech in 2016, it has flourished and grown, securing a range of inspiring new projects on the back of Coffey’s advanced UK market knowledge with the support of Tetra Tech’s strength and security. With the acquisition of WYG in 2019, we added key expertise with European clients and further new, exciting projects. In early 2020, we are consolidating our identity in Europe under Tetra Tech International Development, to reflect the bringing together of our experience and the strength of our collective offering for our clients.
As our company expands, so must our support services functions – which includes the Communications function. Our current team works with project-based, in-country communications managers to leverage their communications work, as well as with project management staff to advance their communications work and capabilities. As a corporate function, the team works with the wider global Tetra Tech family, to ensure our successes and achievements benefit from the company’s larger platform.