DAI is seeking a candidate to fulfil the role of Bid Manager (grade 4, Consultant) within our busy Business Development Unit. The position will be based in Apsley, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. Become part of the thriving DAI business, located in spacious, bespoke offices, 30 minutes out of Euston - with excellent rail and motorway links to London and region.
Purpose of Business Development Unit: DAI’s Business Development Unit is responsible for the identification of and bidding on new programme opportunities across the company’s technical portfolio. Its primary clients are DFID and the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), but DAI also bids for work with non-UK clients, including the World Bank and the Millennium Challenge Cooperation. Bids to the European Commission are managed by a separate team.
Main purpose of role: Consultants in DAI’s Business Development Unit are key to the Business Development process. They play the role of a Bid Manager, leading on the preparation of technical and commercial proposals throughout the proposal cycle – from the identification of a new opportunity through to bid submission. They are involved in bid planning and reconnaissance visits as well as project design, identifying team members and bid writing. As well as working on specific bids they also work more broadly to build relationships with experts and partners, organising external events, developing marketing materials and keeping internal systems up to date. Overall, they contribute significantly to the achievement of Business Development targets.
Key tasks, duties and responsibilities:
- Research new market opportunities and obtain market intelligence
- Support the development of new business opportunities in relevant sectors and client markets, including the tracking of key pipeline projects
- Lead the identification of suitable partner organisations and individual experts for bids
- Prepare good quality Expressions of Interest to clients
- Support (and in some cases lead) on staffing processes for proposals and projects
- Manage the process for the preparation and submission of technical and financial bids
- Write sections of technical and financial proposals as required
- Participate in reconnaissance visits for bids preparation
- Ensure CVs included in bids are presented in the correct format and tailored to the role required
- Ensure due diligence and vetting on partner organisations has been undertaken and assessed
- Support Bid Director/Commercial Director with negotiations with partner organisations
- Conduct research and produce case studies for use in proposal writing
- Identify and liaise with other companies and partners
- Accompany the Business Development Director and/or other members of the Business Development team on marketing visits and consortium meetings, when needed
- Organise round table discussions with clients and external speakers, as needed
- Attend seminars and conferences and source relevant publications, where appropriate
Information and Systems
- Maintain the relevant databases for proposals and potential experts
- Prepare and update company marketing documents and information sheets
- Coordinate the mobilisation of those undertaking marketing/site visits
- Maintain communication with nominated staff to keep them up-to-date
- Be familiar with bid compliance requirement and project contract conditions
- Assisting in maintaining the company’s databases for jobs
- Facilitate information sharing within the Business Development unit, with other DAI offices and with external partners
- Play an active role in business process improvement initiatives
Qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience:
- Proven success working with DFID or other European or International Donors
- Post Graduate Degree or extensive relevant experience in business development, ideally with experience working in developing countries
- Commercially astute with demonstrable aptitude in client service and management
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrable ability to write technical text
- Strong organisational skills
- Proactive, assertive and action-oriented with strong intellectual agility and ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to establish and maintain positive working relationships both internally and externally
- Able to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment whilst maintaining effectiveness
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Numerate with a high level of attention to detail
- Advanced level of MS Office
- Ability to travel to any of DAI’s operating locations as required
- Experience of quality management systems
- Ability to communicate effectively in at least one other language
Travel may be up to 3 months per year and will be required to any of DAI’s operating locations and other locations as needed.
The salary offered for the Bid Manager (Consultant) will be commensurate with the level of relevant experience. The successful candidate will work alongside colleagues in the DAI Europe offices in Apsley, Hertfordshire.
DAI offers a generous benefits package including, after a qualifying period, company pension scheme, private health scheme, life assurance, income protection, gym membership and cycle to work schemes.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
If this role sounds interesting and you would like to be part of DAI’s growing business, bidding for and managing donor-funded projects round the world, we look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date for applications is Friday 21st February 2020 and interviews will be held progressively.
About the Organization
DAI is an international development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and Nigeria, and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Named one of the world’s top 40 international development innovators, DAI has delivered transformational development results in more than 150 countries for clients including development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.