Business & CSR Journalist
Devex Impact (www.devex.com/impact), an online platform that serves professionals at the intersection of business and global development, is seeking a Business & Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Journalist to manage and produce content.
The ideal candidate has experience with a national publication or online news site, brings strong journalistic experience, and knowledge of private sector engagement in international development.
Devex Impact is a collaboration between the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and Devex. This position is through USAID’s Technical Services Support contract with Dexis Consulting Group, and will report to the Technical Services Support Project Director at Dexis. S/he will work on a regular basis with the Devex editor, Devex Impact reporter and the Devex Impact partnership manager. This is a full-time assignment, and will be based in Washington, DC.
The core responsibility of the Business & CSR Journalist is to improve content and engagement with a growing online community of business and development professionals by producing and coordinating high-quality content, including building the social media presence of Devex Impact. Additionally, this position will represent the interests of the Devex Impact community, serving as a focal point, and understanding the needs of its audience.
● Report and write regular stories for Devex Impact, including breaking news articles, feature articles, blog posts and other content;
● Oversee planning and scheduling of content and themes for Devex Impact, together with others on the team;
● Contribute to the development and implementation of a social media strategy for Devex Impact;
● Develop weekly publishing schedule; manage reporters and freelancers; assign and edit content; and provide editorial guidance;
● Identify innovative thought leaders and practitioners in private sector engagement for international development, establish relationships with them, and enlist their participation through guest columns, social media conversations and/or webinars;
● Foster a sense of community around the brand by monitoring key online conversations to identify trends and platforms; write and post information to influence trends;
● Regularly attend relevant events to develop story ideas and sources; identify possible content contributors; and provide visibility for Devex Impact.
● Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism, marketing, communications, international affairs, international development, or a related field;
● 5–10 years of professional experience; 3+ years of experience working in media, journalism, or communications;
● Excellent reporting and research skills and experience writing for the Web preferred;
● Strong editing skills, including both line and copy editing, as well as being able to discern broader subject-matter problems
● Proven writing and editing skills with an ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct and lively style;
● Ability to develop innovative content that builds brand awareness, drives traffic, and generates buzz about this online community;
● Knowledge of social media and multimedia technologies;
● Ability to work capably under stress and to juggle multiple tasks with tight deadlines;
● Self-starter who can work as part of a creative and results-oriented team;
● Goal-oriented multi-tasker, proficient in prioritizing tasks, with strong project and time management skills;
● Flexibility and sense of humor.
● Ability to apply long-range brand building, content, and marketing strategies to online community management;
● Experience working with multimedia and the ability to learn new media tools quickly;
● Knowledge and experience with social media platforms and their respective audiences and environments (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+ etc.) and how they can be deployed in different scenarios.