The Business Development Specialist will support the agency’s competitive pursuit of institutional donor resources and growth of the Zambia and Lesotho/Mozambique country programs. With a core function of supporting the writing and production of high-quality applications for donor funding, this position will also provide specialized assistance in other dimensions of the business development cycle, knowledge of specific program sectors or funding sources including corporate and other non-traditional sources, or other relevant areas to be determined in recognition of agency needs. He or she will also coordinate and support the development and implementation of the country programs’ communications and knowledge management efforts, including design and content management support, as well as complete reporting writing in coordination with project leadership for targeted high value projects. In the case of Mozambique, support in preparing emergency situation reports and other requests for information regarding the CRS and CI humanitarian response in Mozambique will also form part of the job.
- Provide business development skill and capacity in opportunity analysis, positioning and capture planning, proposal preparation, proposal review, and after action review.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of standardized business development materials (learning resources, guidelines, tools and templates, and online information), through staff mentorship, modeling of good practices, and training.
- Support and coordinate country-level prepositioning activities, including intelligence gathering and capture planning.
- Support CRS senior staff and program managers to develop and maintain key relationships with donors, collaborating organizations, and private sector actors with an eye toward opportunity identification, shared value creation, strategic alliance formation, and global brand positioning.
- Support the identification of international and national partners and negotiation of CRS’ role on proposal consortia, ensuring a competitive position for CRS that adheres to the agency’s partnership principles and strategic directions.
- Manage and support proposal processes to ensure timely submission of high quality proposals that are responsive to and compliant with donor requirements and with CRS technical application and cost application standards.
- Support personnel recruitment, budget development, and non-technical proposal writing as part of proposal teams.
- Support the development of sit-reps and other reports about the CRS and CI humanitarian response in Mozambique.
- Manage country-level opportunity pipeline tracking and analysis, including portfolio trends, proposal submissions and performance, and growth projections.
- Responsible for tracking growth trends, developing assigned business development reports, and completing monthly calls with regional office staff on business development.
- Support the country programs’ business development budgeting and annual programming planning process.
- Coordinate and support country-level communication plans for enhanced visibility and influence with targeted audiences
- Lead and coordinate the development of high quality, targeted marketing materials.
- Lead and support country-level knowledge management and documentation initiatives, including the design and maintenance of standardized project files and documentation systems to be developed in collaboration with CP leadership and senior PQ staff.
- Provide report writing for select priority projects, working closely with project leadership to establish the appropriate processes and produce high quality reports responsive to donor and CRS standards, guidance and review feedback.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
* Accountability and Stewardship
* Build Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Continuous Improvement and Innovation
* Strategic Mindset
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Country Representatives for Zambia and Lesotho/Mozambique, Head of Programs, Unit Managers, CoPs and support staff; regional office staff including the Business Development Technical Advisor; global BD community.
External: Local and international organizations, project donors and other funding agencies, and local and international Catholic agencies and organizations, local/international NGO offices, government ministries, private sector entities and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Strong analytical and information management skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication in English, and strong interpersonal, networking, and representation skills;
- Strong team leadership, process and time management skills;
- Commitment to working successfully within a geographically disperse, cross-disciplinary, matrix team structure.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Development, Public Health, or related field
- Minimum three years international development experience, including at least two years of work in a developing country
- Knowledge of business development and fundraising concepts and practice within the foreign aid and/or non-profit contexts
- Demonstrated experience utilizing diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position his/her organization for new funding and productive institutional relationships preferred
- Demonstrated experience leading teams and managing people and processes to produce complex proposals under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality
- Experience developing proposals in response to USAID RFAs required; comprehensive experience with USAID technical and cost applications highly desirable
- Experience pursuing USAID RFPs, non-USG funding mechanisms, and opportunities to create shared cross-sector value highly desirable
- Experience building the capacity of, and providing effective technical assistance and guidance to, peers and colleagues required; knowledge of instructional design and adult learning principles and/or direct training experience highly desirable
- Experience with CRS programming approaches, standards and tools preferred
- Experience with completing high quality reports for international donors such as USAID and DFID highly desirable
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 30%
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office required; experience with Salesforce or other CRM software a plus
- English fluency (written and verbal) required; advanced Portuguese language (written and verbal) an asset
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.