The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
The Research, Evaluation and Learning Unit spearheads IRC’s work to use research, cost analysis, and monitoring data to inform decision making throughout the organization.
This 3-month position will manage the Research, Evaluation and Learning unit budget and grants as well as proposal development for future grants. Responsibilities will include all financial management: analysis of spending, forecasts (in conjunction with programmatic staff), control and processing of budget realignments, preparation of donor and internal management reports, monitoring and spending, and analysis and preparation of data associated with value for money reporting. The post holder will also be responsible for coordinating donor reporting and proposal writing. This is a challenging position that requires strong organization skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well in a distributed, multi-cultural environment.
The role reports to the Senior Director of Research, Evaluation and Learning.
Budget management, Forecasting and Time & Effort reporting
* Work with REL Director and Finance to prepare fiscal year operating budget and budget reforecasts for the TU
* Work with REL Director to prepare and regularly update spending plans; coordinate regular budget reviews with Director and other budget leads
* Review monthly budget versus actual reports (BVAs) and transactions for all REL unrestricted and restricted expenses; submit recodes to Finance to correct errors on a monthly basis
* Prepare monthly time and effort reporting for REL staff, in accordance with budgets/spending plans; keep monthly time and effort spending tracker up-to-date
* Work with colleagues to confirm REL’s funding allocations from other TUs and country programs
* Work with REL Director to communicate financial rules and processes and ensure compliance across the TU
Grants Management & Donor Reporting
* Ensure that new awarded REL-led grants are entered into BVA system, including creating T2 codes
* Lead monthly review meetings (including grant opening, closing meetings) to review grant progress and communicate upcoming deadlines with key internal stakeholders
* Coordinate with team members to ensure quality, on-time reporting and meeting of milestones in accordance with agreements and logframes
* Maintain project budgets and spending plans; coordinate proposal modifications and budget realignments as necessary
* Work with Finance to prepare donor financial reports per donor requirements and ensure adequate review processes; e nsure that financial and narrative reporting meets donor requirements and is submitted in compliance with donor reporting deadlines for on-time submissions
* Coordinate and support budget realignments and annual budget reviews, when relevant (including support to countries)
* Where necessary develop and provide reporting templates to relevant teams, in conjunction with IRC Revenue staff
* Act as focal point and coordinator of narrative reports for grants
* Manage subawards for REL-led grants as needed, including processing subaward agreements and modifications, managing subaward reporting, and issuing payments to subawardees
* Support recode submissions and coordination for final DFID Make the Difference report
* Coordinate and collate inputs for grant proposals for new opportunities, write proposal sections as needed, edit inputs from colleagues, prepare budgets in collaboration with other TUs and/or country programs
* Liaise with proposed partners on subaward inputs/budgets as needed; perform subwawardee due diligence in collaboration with IRC Award Management Unit (AMU) and Legal
* Set up proposal opportunities in IRC internal system (OTIS); and coordinate internal reviews and approvals before submission.
* Ensure quality information management related to grants by overseeing the regular maintenance of grant files, reporting calendars, and contributing to grant tool updates as necessary
* Support Finance on audits for grants, if necessary
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Director for Research, Evaluation and Learning
Position directly supervises: N/A
Indirect Reporting: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts: describe the nature of departments or groups the position influences or requires support from to accomplish objectives.
* REL team members
* Grants Coordinators and Managers in other teams
* Finance colleagues
* Senior stakeholders
* Strategy Unit team members
* IPT grants officer responsible for TUs
* As needed
* Bachelor degree in Accounting, Commerce, Economics or Business Studies or other relevant financial qualification.
* Minimum 5 years experience in a Finance or relevant department
* Knowledge of finance systems and computerized accounting software, preferably SUN System and high-level Excel.
* Prior working experience with international donor funded organization.
* Demonstrated previous responsibility in managing significant budgets
* Demonstrated expertise in writing and editing proposals, with the ability to communicate clearly, concisely and with high impact
* Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a distributed, multi-cultural environment: ability to build good working relationship with project team and partners at a range of levels and in different locations
* Ability to work independently
* Strong organizational skills with proven ability to be flexible and to work well under pressure, to deal with multiple competing priorities and to multi-task, and to manage time effectively
* High level of proficiency with MS Office
Preferred Additional Requirements
* Knowledge of French or Arabic
* Standard office work environment
* Limited travel as needed