The CLEAN Project is a four (4) year program implemented by Winrock International in partnership with the Government of Lao PDR, and funded by the Food for Progress Program of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
The primary focus of Creating Linkages for Expanded Agricultural Networks (CLEAN) is on building the capacity of farmer organizations, Government of Lao PDR (GOL) counterparts, private agro-enterprises, and trade networks. To achieve this, CLEAN will collaborate closely with key government, donor, and private sector counterparts at the central, provincial, district, and village levels. The project looks forward to the establishment of a Steering Committee to ensure close coordination among the project, GOL, and donor programs and to provide strategic guidance, monitoring, and oversight.
1. PURPOSE OF THE STUDY/RESEARCH
The study’s primary objective is to assess and report on the present agronomic practices to produce white and green cabbage used by small farmers in Vientiane Province and the Boloven Plateau.
The consultant’s primary role will be, to report present growing practices and the economics of cabbage production in Laos.
2. SPECIFIC TASKS
· To report on current agronomic practices of cabbage growing in Laos
· To report on the present gross margins of the different systems of growing cabbage
· Assess the quality and standards that affect the market prices of cabbage
· Create a cabbage cropping calendar for the different regions, identifying the different agronomic operations that are presently performed
3. APPROACH AND METHODOLOGY
This assignment will employ a practical approach to the agronomy and economics of cabbage production in Laos.
The consultant will produce the following deliverables in Lao or English language:
· Draft report with detailed table within 4 week of signing consultancy agreement.
· Final report and summary brief which include cropping calendars
· At least 10 years’ experience working in Laos on vegetable production
· Specific extension experience in cabbage production in Laos
· Specific knowledge or/and experience of producing farm budgets