DAI, a global consulting firm based in the United States, is currently accepting applications from senior and mid-level candidates for long-term and short-term positions for an anticipated financial reform activity in Bosnia-Herzegovina (BiH) covering both entities—Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH), Republika Srpska (RS)—and Brcko District (BD). This project is expected to implement a set of fiscal reforms that will be supported by Information Technology (IT) interventions—with the goal of greater fiscal accountability and transparency and enhanced services for citizens and private sector. The activity has two main purposes: 1) improve fiscal discipline and fiscal regulatory framework conducive to business in BiH; and 2) improve overall public financial management through enhanced fiscal planning, tax compliance, control of spending, and debt management.
Candidates with 7 or more years prior experience in one or more the following technical areas are encouraged to apply:
- Improving fiscal planning and analysis with prior experience analyzing levels of static (macro and micro) modeling and building capacity for static macroeconomic modeling and forecasting at all levels of government. Demonstrated success working with the Fiscal Council (FC), Federation of BiH Ministry of Finance (FBIH) and Republika Srpska Ministry of Finance (RS MoF) preferred.
- Strengthening Health Sector Treasury Systems with prior experience analyzing, conceptualizing, designing and rolling out IT systems for the public sector for improved management of public funds. Demonstrated experience moving from paper-based systems to more efficient and transparent real-time IT systems, accessible by all budget users of an institution.
- Strengthening of the business environment with prior experience: 1) adopting innovative technical approaches to address para-fiscal taxes and drafting legislative amendments to improve relevant legislation and eliminate burdensome fees; 2) assisting all levels of the government in identifying parafiscal fees and charges and promoting efficient reduction or abolition of parafiscal fees; and 3) assisting different levels of local government to replace any lost revenues by identifying more productive and investor-friendly sources of revenue.
- Strengthening public debt management with prior experience providing technical assistance to implementing IT solutions for debt management. Demonstrated experience assisting BiH authorities in implementation of legislative and procedural changes.
- Increasing tax compliance with prior experience reducing tax evasion, improving services to citizens, and improving public revenue collection while leveling the playfield for compliant businesses.
- Improved quality of budgeting and public spending with prior experience providing technical assistance to the strategic prioritization and performance-based evaluation of results to improve quality of public spending.
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning with prior experience with USAID M&E methodology preferred. Experience with fiscal reform programming, monitoring subcontractors, and assuring data quality preferred.
Minimum qualifications include:
- At least 7 years of technical experience working in international development programs in one or more areas listed above. USAID experience highly preferred.
- Demonstrated success working with government programs highly preferred.
- Higher degree in related field (Bachelor’s or equivalent required, Master’s highly preferred).
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including professional fluency in English. Local language fluency in (i.e., Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian/Montenegrin) highly preferred.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone inquiries, please.
About the Organization
DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.