As part of CARE’s priority to enhance quality programming in its humanitarian preparedness and response globally, the positions of Technical Advisors have been established in each of the four core sectors (FSL, WASH, Shelter, and SRH). The Cash and Markets Advisor will be one of the global Advisors with oversight of development and implementation of market-based interventions in humanitarian contexts including guidance to markets assessments and use of cash transfers. The use of Cash Based Interventions (CBI) within CARE International (CI) has gradually gained momentum and has been recognised as a suitable response modality in appropriate contexts. This role is an attempt to lead CARE USA’s commitments and strategy to enhance Cash Programming efforts across its humanitarian operations. The position will also serve as a link to the CARE Confederation in attempt to empower key decisions and operational excellence at the regional level building strategic and operational capacity in cash approaches.
CARE is seeking a CASH and Market Technical Advisor who will be responsible for leading CARE USA’s strategic discussions around cash programming as well as enable regional and Country Office operational readiness to assess, analyse, design and implement humanitarian strategies and response. The incumbent will also explore opportunities to integrate CBI and other market-based approaches into other three CI emergency response core sectors, thus coordinating with CI Emergency team members and country office staff to ensure a rapid, proportionate and effective response. The TA may need to take an active role in supporting regional or country-based technical co-ordination, support and advocacy with the country specific Food Security and Nutrition Clusters, Cash working groups and other stakeholders and technical agencies relevant to the sector. The TA will closely work with the Director of Practice, Partnerships and Innovation (Humanitarian Team) to ensure fair and solid representation in relevant Cash fora. The position will also be expected to work closely across CARE USA departments (e.g. PPL, Innovation, IPO) to ensure the work is connected to broader organizational goals and takes into consideration the humanitarian – development nexus.
- Provide Strategic Technical Leadership and Innovation in Markets and Cash Programming
- Coordinate and provide technical support to Country Programs
- Capacity Building of staff on Cash and Markets programming
- Capture Monitoring and Lessons Learnt
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in development studies/economics/social science
- Training in Cash programming and best practices (CALP or equivalent – CALP TOT level will be an added advantage).
- At least five years planning and delivering cash programs
- Implementing Market analysis integrated to Nutrition, FSL, and WASH
- Conducting EMMA assessments
- Contextual analysis, qualitative and quantitative research and other assessment tools
- Understanding of gender issues and its linkages with Market and Cash response approaches
- Experience managing Cash programs in a field setting, preferably challenging environments
- Ability to present clear ideas, providing distance support, training and influence.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills in humanitarian programming, assessing emergency needs, market analysis, response analysis, and program design.
- Facilitation skills
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, prioritize work under pressure, and coordinate multiple tasks.
- Fluent in English
- Markets assessments and analysis
- Program design using different in kind assistance, markets support and Cash modalities
- Familiarity with key donor relevant regulations
About the Organization
At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
CARE USA is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.