Abt Associates is seeking a consultant to provide input and advice to the Government of Cambodia for the development of a Cambodia national cashew nut policy.
The consultant will:
- Provide guidance and quality assurance for the collection of additional primary data of Cambodian cashew nut assessment (conducted by HEKS Cambodia) as required.
- Prepare a comprehensive situational analysis based on data collected, global trends and benchmarking with relevant countries/markets where possible. The analysis should cover all the three themes that will comprise the policy: (1) Sustainable and resilient crop production; (2) Value chain strengthening; and (3) Export and market development; and include recommendations on policy priorities, monitoring and risk frameworks and action plans as major inputs for the policy and its implementation plan. The international expert will need to draw on extensive knowledge of the cashew sector, while putting Cambodia in the international context.
- Share international experiences, and best practices on different topics along the cashew value chain at technical working sessions and workshops.
- Lead the policy dialogue including facilitating and participating in stakeholder consultations to validate findings of the analysis and obtain comments on policy recommendations.
- Write the policy recommendations report to the government of Cambodia.
These responsibilities will be carried out through the following activities:
- Cambodia Cashew Value Chain Analysis
Conduct situational analysis by reviewing Cambodian Value Chain Assessment done by HEKS, combined with comparative analysis of world cashew production and trade and Cambodia’s position in the world market; SWOT analysis of Cambodia’s cashew sector; Cambodia’s competitive advantage and marketing strategy options.
- The competition & the customer - International Market Situational Analysis
Conduct a situational analysis addressing: What do buyers want? Target markets; Comparative Analysis of product, costs and marketing approach focusing on Vietnam and India and successful innovations in the new cashew countries in Africa.
Using the value chain analysis, stakeholder input and comparative analysis of cashew policy in other key producing countries (Vietnam, India, new entrants in Africa) make recommendations on the policy approach to be adopted in Cambodia within the context of the overall current policy for the agriculture sector.
- Consult with stakeholders on the recommendations for policy development.
The consultant will participate in three one-day workshops held to validate recommendations. A first draft of the recommendations will be validated in a workshop in a province (Kampong Thom or Siem Reap, subject to change), to get the view of province-based actors. Another workshop will take place in Phnom Penh, to consult with stakeholders at the national level. The objective is to gauge the reaction, flag the proposals being made and to consult on the practicality of the proposed policy framework. After incorporating feedback from these workshops, a final consultation workshop will be held in Phnom Penh with a wider range of stakeholders to fine tune last adaptations.
Deliverables and due dates
Early November 2019: Comments and recommendations on value chain analysis by HEKS
Mid-November 2019: Interim situational analysis
Late November 2019: Final situational analysis
December 2, 2019: Inception and methodology report for policy development
December 9, 2019: Policy recommendations to present to stakeholder workshops
December 11-21, 2019: First mission, including factory visits and participation in stakeholder workshops
Week of January 12, 2020: Second mission, including meetings with ministries and final validation workshop
Mid-February 2020: Final report with policy priorities and recommendations and strategic plan, incorporating feedback from stakeholder consultations
The consultant must be a leading expert in the following areas:
- Cashew value chain strengthening, to include knowledge of sustainable cashew production and processing, as well as value chain strengthening.
- Market intelligence, to include knowledge of trends in the world cashew market and ability to provide an independent, unbiased analysis of Cambodia’s position and potential compared to other key producing countries, especially Vietnam, India, and new entrants in Africa.
- Trade policy, to include knowledge of how country policies can support or hinder a country’s competitiveness in the world market, and ability to provide a comparative analysis of cashew policy in other key producing countries, so as to eventually make recommendations on the policy approach to be adopted in Cambodia within the context of the overall current policy for the agriculture sector.
Please email your CV and a short statement summarizing your suitability for the position to email@example.com by September 16. Please include Cashew Policy in the subject line of your email.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com