Position title: Chief governance officer, OSGE
Position N°: 50067529
Publication date: 22/12/2015
Closing date: 11/01/2016
The main objective of the Governance, Economic and Financial Management Department (OSGE) is to provide support to Regional Member Countries (RMCs) in their efforts to improve their governance systems, particularly in the areas of public sector and economic management, sector governance and business enabling environment (BEE). This objective is achieved through operations designed to support economic and financial reforms and build institutional capacity. The choice and mix of instruments deployed by the Bank and managed by the Department, which include policy based lending, investment projects, technical assistance, capacity building, and economic and sector work, are tailored to country circumstances. The Department undertakes policy dialogue with RMCs governments on reform priorities and nature and modalities of Bank assistance. The Department’s activities are guided by the Bank’s Long-Term Strategy 2013-2022 and the Governance Strategic Framework and Action Plan (GAP II) covering the period 2014-2018.
The role of the Chief Governance Officer is to advise the Director/Managers of OSGE on strategic and policy issues relating to the activities of the Department. He/ She will also be responsible for providing advice on the technical quality of operations and documents prepared by the Department and for coordinating some of the Department’s cross cutting initiatives.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the head of the organizational unit and working closely with internal and external stakeholders, the incumbent will:
- Prepare and manage an active and complex portfolio of projects/programs (from identification to completion) of policy based operations (budget support operations, balance of payments support program) as well as institutional support projects in the area of Governance, and economic management to ensure timely implementation according to agreed objectives;
- Provide expert advice and contribute to the preparation of Economic and Financial Assessment Programs Plan and other upstream analytical and diagnostic work to inform Country Strategy Papers (CSP) and Regional Integration Strategy Paper (RISP); provide guidance to Country/Regional departments on policy dialogue with RMCs relating to economic and financial reform programs and related issues (economic and financial governance, creating an enabling environment for the private sector, strengthening regional cooperation and economic integration); interact with Country Economists in CSP and RISP implementation, mid-term review and completion reports with due attention to economic and financial reforms; and provide back-up to country offices to ensure provision of quality advisory service to RMCs;
- Lead, organize, coordinate and/or oversee the identification, appraisal, supervision missions and ex-post reviews of Bank operations focusing on economic and financial management, involving RMCs’ governments, other development partners and concerned parties or other stakeholders;
- Participate with other development partners in public expenditure reviews (PER), public expenditure and financial accountability reviews (PEFA) and other diagnostic works; and ensure that operations meet quality and compliance with Bank’s rules and procedures, international standards as well as Paris declaration requirement issues.
- Lead, coordinate and/or participate in the preparation of policy statements, papers, briefs and various reports on economic and financial governance issues and other areas relevant to the Economic and Financial Management Division;
- Provide assistance to RMCs in understanding and applying the Bank Group’s policies and procedures relating to assistance to economic and financial reform program as well as on other issues related to project or program implementation, including policy issues;
- Participate to the preparation of the Department budget and recruitment of research assistants and consultants; and advise junior staff in projects/programs designing, launching and managing;
- Carry out any other duties pertinent to the work of the Division, assigned by the Division Manager or the Director.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of Master’s degree or equivalent university degree in development economics, macroeconomics, economic policy management, public finances, public sector auditing;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in public policy, economic policy, or government financial management, and strong experience in the design and delivery of operations (including investment projects and policy based operations), as well as project management, preferably in a multilateral development finance institution; at least four (4) years of which should be focused on developing countries, preferably in Africa;
- Sound understanding of macroeconomics, fiscal policy and public budgeting issues in developing countries and demonstrable experience of the operational policies, procedures and practices of major bilateral or multilateral development agencies in Africa;
- Ability to apply innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems, while remaining efficient in a fast-paced, changing and challenging institutional environment;
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Knowledge of Portuguese or Spanish would be an added advantage.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with senior people, both internally & externally.
- Honesty and professional integrity.
- Competence in standard Microsoft Office applications, familiarity with SAP recommended.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply: www.afdb.org/jobs