Arizona State University (ASU) is pursuing an anticipated USAID-funded Centers of Excellence Activity in Egypt. ASU is seeking an experienced Chief of Party. This position is based in Cairo, Egypt. Hiring for this position will be contingent on securing funding from USAID and USAID’s approval of the candidate for this position. The primary objective of the projected 5-year activity is to strengthen the capacity of Egyptian public universities to respond to changing public and private sector needs for applied research and skilled graduates in the energy and agriculture sectors. The focus will be to develop an academic center with graduate degrees, new curriculum, research projects, and exchange programs to train faculty and students. The goal of these centers is to develop highly skilled and motivated leaders working in energy and agriculture, sectors critical to Egypt’s continued transformative growth and development. The COP is responsible for overall project administration and management of an anticipated $12–25 million budget, program management and impact; external representation; and coordination with USAID, program partners and stakeholders, other donors and other program contractors. The COP serves as the primary point of contact for USAID/Egypt, the Egyptian government, and other donors and key stakeholders for the program.
- Provides program leadership, managing all aspects of the program in Egypt, working closely with the ASU leadership and faculty.
- Builds strategic partnerships with USAID/Egypt, the Egyptian industry and government, Egyptian and U.S. universities, and other program stakeholders in the energy sector.
- In collaboration with USAID and ASU, sets a clear strategic vision and plan for the program.
- Manages the center staff, technical and academic programs, industry interface, and exchange programs.
- Works closely with project team members to monitor implementation and to ensure high quality and timely completion and submission of all contractually required deliverables.
- Oversees the design and implementation of efficient, results-oriented, cost-effective interventions to improve organizations’ human and/or institutional capacity, including managing technical assistance activities.
- Develops and coordinates technical assistance activities and training programs and corresponding budget(s) to meet project objectives and goals.
- Oversees program finances, budgeting, and procurement, in collaboration with functional teams in the MENA office in Egypt, to ensure that all finance and procurement is compliant with USG and ASU policies and procedures.
Education and Work Experience:
- Requires a master’s degree in any relevant field such as higher education management, public policy, international development, or engineering; Ph.D. preferred. Expertise in Energy, Engineering, or Agriculture is preferred.
- Requires at least 10 years of related work experience; USAID COP/Project Director experience strongly preferred.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated expertise in some or all programmatic functions such as faculty exchange, fellowships and scholarships, joint degree programs, applied research, laboratory design and equipment, curriculum upgrade, improving learning environments, faculty professional development, and academic program design and implementation.
- Prior experience working in Egypt and MENA region; strong knowledge of Egypt, the Egyptian public university sector, and the Egyptian private sector.
- Technical expertise in energy or agriculture related field preferred.
- Experience leading large and complex donor-funded programs.
- Working knowledge of relevant USAID and USG policies, strategies, and requirements.
- Prior experience forging public-private partnerships bringing together academia, government and the private sector.
- Proven strong team building, capacity building, and management skills.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills; must be accurate, detail-oriented, and follow through on assignments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English; Arabic strongly preferred.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with tact and discretion.
- A commitment to international higher education, applied research, and capacity building consonant with ASU’s charter of access, excellence, and social impact
Work Conditions & Physical Demands: Essential functions are performed in a general office setting with low noise. Job demands may require long periods of sitting; telephone work and/or computer work, as well as interactions with other team members and external stakeholders. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Travel 10 to 25%.
About the Organization
Arizona State University
ASU is a Carnegie Classification Research 1 university that U.S. News and World Report has designated the #1 innovative U.S. university for three consecutive years. With the largest student enrollment under a single administration, ASU under the leadership of President Michael Crow is advancing a “New American University” model of higher education that asks to be judged not by the students it excludes, but by those it includes and how the university helps them to succeed. Over the past 10 years, ASU has been the fastest-growing university research enterprise in the U.S. and places 10th among institutions without a medical school in National Science Foundation rankings. ASU is committed to bringing agility and business acumen to development work that is uncommon in university partners, as evidenced by its having the only U.S. university research enterprise that is IS0 9001-certified.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.