The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Chief of Party (COP) for the upcoming five-year USAID Liberia Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) project. The COP will be responsible for ensuring effective implementation of the project, represent Abt to USAID and project stakeholders, and is responsible for coordination among USAID-funded projects. The COP will also lead collaboration with Liberia’s Ministry of Health and other ministries, and will ensure the project achieves targets in an effective and compliant manner. Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
The position will be based in Monrovia, and is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide management leadership (programmatic, financial and administrative) for the project ensuring full alignment with national and international standards.
- Oversee the implementation of the project ensuring the achievement of all project deliverables and targets in a timely manner.
- Lead development of the overall HSS strategy and design with the DCOP and other senior level technical staff.
- Effectively represent Abt and build and maintain excellent, productive relationships with USAID and government counterparts and relevant civil society organizations and serve as a leader in the health community.
- Provide vision and guidance to the project staff, and manage and resolve employee relations issues.
- Identify obstacles and risks related to implementation in a timely manner and implement strategies to overcome them.
- Supervise and oversee the work of project staff, partners, and subcontractors.
- Exercise sound financial management skills including effective project spending.
- Uphold the standards of Abt Associates to lead a high performing team; ensure strict compliance to USAID and Abt’s policies, regulations and internal controls.
- Guide the learning agenda for the project, use lessons learned to modify project approaches and strategies, and disseminate findings.
- Review technical materials to ensure high quality products.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree or higher in Public Health, Policy and Governance, Business or other relevant field.
- At least 15 years of senior-level experience designing, implementing, and managing or evaluating complex health programmes with an emphasis on health systems strengthening; health financing; health sector policy and strategies.
- Demonstrated technical depth and understanding of the health policy environment and governance in Liberia or in a country of similar development context; experience in Liberia preferred.
- Demonstrated success managing complex international donor programs; previous USAID project management experience strongly preferred
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships with other projects, local organizations, host country governments and international agencies.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com