ECODIT is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated Unlocking Southern Africa Solar (USAS) task order under the Power Africa IDIQ , a multi-year year project that intends to accelerate the roll out of solar power in Southern Africa to support Power Africa’s goals to add 30 gigawatts (GW) of electricity and double access in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) by 2030.The USAS program focuses on support to regional and bilateral institutions in South Africa, including Botswana and Namibia, to develop a large scale solar (“Mega Solar”) procurement program in either Namibia or Botswana or both, in order to bring 2 to 5 GW of solar Photovoltaic (PV) and/or Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) online over the next 20 years.
The COP will bear primary responsibility for project performance and the effective, efficient, and timely implementation of all technical aspects of the project; management of staff and consultants; and financial management. The COP is responsible for achieving the project’s expected results as well as for ensuring that administrative, financial and contracting systems are functioning to support the project’s success. S/he will be the main representative to the USAID Mission and implementing partners, ensuring ongoing coordination. S/he also will work closely with the ECODIT Home Office Project Manager (HOPM) and other ECODIT support staff, and will serve as an important link between USAID and the ECODIT Home Office (HO). The COP will:
- Provide overall technical, managerial, financial, and administrative leadership for the project, ensuring that all tasks are implemented effectively and that all deliverables are submitted on time, within budget, and in compliance with applicable United States Government (USG) regulations and ECODIT policies;
- Liaise with the USAID Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) and the USAID Mission and Operating Units (OUs) to ensure the timely production of high-quality deliverables that respond to the Agency’s priorities and needs;
- Lead work planning and coordinate implementation of all tasks;
- Submit all technical deliverables, all work plans, and progress reports to the ECODIT HOPM to coordinate technical and editorial review prior to submission to the COR. These documents may include weekly/monthly/quarterly progress reports, annual and final reports, annual work plans, and technical reports.
- Supervise a team of long-term personnel and consultants providing short term technical assistance (STTA) and long-term technical assistance (LTTA).
- Provide leadership in staff mentorship and professional development;
- Coordinate, maintain regular communication, and develop positive and productive relationships with partners for the project, including local and national governments, agencies, partner organizations, other USAID project implementers, and other donors; and Maintain regular contact with the ECODIT HOPM Manager.
- TBD Southern Africa. Likely Gaborone, Botswana; Windhoek, Namibia, or; Pretoria, South Africa
- Graduate degree in Engineering, Science, Energy, International Development, or other related field Experience with USAID;
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience leading, designing, and/or implementing energy projects in developing countries for donor funded activities;
- Experience working directly with African government officials, utilities, distribution companies, transmission companies, and energy sector stakeholders;
- Experience providing transaction advisory assistance on grid connected solar projects;
- Experience working with USAID and managing USAID funded projects
- Experience working with local governments, line ministries, civil society organizations, and other stakeholders in Southern Africa
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience coordinating with the South African Power Pool (SAPP);
- Experience developing multi-country implementation plans and stakeholder engagement plans for large energy projects;
- Experience with Power Africa, the Power Africa Toolbox, and an understanding of the Power Africa regional programs;
- Workshop/conference/ study tour facilitation and planning for energy sector stakeholders
- Experience leading and developing working groups or secretariat bodies
- Experience on power sector feasibility and pre-feasibility studies
- Experience with multilateral stakeholders such as the African Development Bank, the World Bank, and the Development Bank of South Africa
- Experience in capacity building for African government officials, utilities, and energy sector stakeholders
- Experience in energy laws, regulations, planning, system operations, and environmental and social impact assessments
- Experience in utility grade project development and procurements.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for professional and career development within a reputable small business poised for significant growth. Compensation is commensurate with background and experience. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV immediately. ECODIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only select candidates will be contacted; no phone calls or emails please.
About the Organization
ECODIT is an international development ﬁrm working with governments, businesses, and local communities to advance environmentally- and socially-responsible development around the world. We provide technical assistance services ranging from quick-turnaround assessments and evaluations to design and implementation of long-term multi-million dollar projects. Since its founding in 1993, ECODIT has provided professional services through over 250 projects/contracts to diverse clients in more than 40 countries. Building on our track record of success, we have continuously expanded the depth and breadth of our expertise in the water, energy, environment, and urban and local governance sectors.
To serve our clients most effectively, ECODIT has two permanent office locations: one in the Washington, DC area (USA) and one in Beirut (Lebanon). In addition, ECODIT maintains a number of project-dedicated offices around the world; as of July 2017, ECODIT has project offices in Da Nang, Vietnam; and Almaty, Kazakhstan.