During this current situation with COVID-19, the ABA will continue to accept and process applications for job opportunities. We will conduct our recruitment process via alternative means (virtual interviews) for the time being.
The ABA recruits employees seeking opportunities for challenging and substantive work defending liberty and pursuing justice in the U.S. and around the world. The ABA offers competitive employment benefits which include medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k), commuter benefits, and more.
Responsible for overall leadership of the forthcoming ABA ROLI USAID-funded Advancing Human Rights in Benin project. Ensures technical excellence of ABA ROLI’s activities in support of the Benin Human Rights Commission and civil society to advance human rights. Provides oversight of program implementation and ensures quality of program deliverables. Responsible for managing all project staff and for financial oversight and stewardship. Represents ABA ROLI with government partners, civil society partners, USAID, and all relevant stakeholders working in the human rights space in Benin. The COP reports to the Director of the Africa Division and is based in Cotonou.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops, implements, and enhances program priorities and ensures interventions are aligned with the overall mission, vision, and values of the program and that they are responsive to local needs. Incorporates program learning into decision-making and strategic direction of the program.
- Provides technical expertise to the program relative to its support to the National Human Rights Commission and civil society on a range of human rights issues.
- As needed, trains project staff, partners, and external stakeholders on human rights issues related to the program.
- Holds responsibility for the ABA program budget and ensures expenditures are in line with project objectives and consistent with ABA finance and compliance rules and regulations.
- Works closely with the DC-based ABA ROLI Finance and Program team.
- Supports the development and use of monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) of program activities to inform technical strategy, integrates learning, and recommends adjustments to the components workplans.
- Manages and oversees program staff assigned as direct reports, which may include a program manager, program officers, and any consultants contracted for the project.
- Provides guidance and oversight for all program personnel.
- Provides guidance and oversight of program activities including training, meetings with stakeholders and partners, and any other relevant activities.
- Leads the recruitment of program personnel and leads the recruitment of relevant ABA technical staff on the project.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with ABA and donor policies, practices, procedures, and regulations. Accountable for adherence to and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act [FCPA].
- Performs oversight of financial management of all offices within his/her portfolio, conducting periodic reviews of expenditures for accuracy and reasonableness.
- Monitors the operational, political, and legal environment within the host countries and keeps senior management informed of environmental shifts that might positively/negatively impact operations.
- Mentors and trains staff in strategic implementation of programs, overall program management, integration of MEL data for decision making, and reporting. Ensures all approved targets and components are effectively resourced to optimize attainment of the objectives. Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, development to and through assigned employees.
Partnership and representation responsibilities
- Creates, fosters, nurtures, and expands working relationships with host government representatives, local justice actors, other NGOs, and similarly situated entities to bolster and enhance the opportunity for achieving/exceeding ABA and ROLI plan/program objectives.
- Liaises with potential donors, embassies, and private foundations, and identifies new funding opportunities from USG and non-USG donors.
Basic Qualifications & Interests
- Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least ten years’ experience in program and/or development activities, one year of which must have been overseas; OR, possession of a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school or foreign equivalent and at least seven years’ experience in program and/or development activities, one year of which must have been overseas.
- At least three years’ experience supervising a team which must have included providing performance feedback to direct reports.
Preferred Qualifications & Interests
- Proficiency, if not fluency, in one or more of the host country’s official languages.
- Previous work experience in a not-for-profit, association, and/or NGO setting.
Extent of Travel Required in the Job
- As a normal course of business, this job will typically require travel up to 40% of the time.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit program that implements legal reform programs in roughly 40 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 400 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html