Abt Associates seeks a qualified Chief of Party (COP), for the anticipated USAID-funded Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). ATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, DC area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, and Southern Africa, and later North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, State Department and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The ATIP COP will manage and advise regional directors, manage the quality of project implementation activities, and serve as the project’s liaison to all key stakeholders including relevant US government agencies within Africa, USAID offices, donor institutions and development banks, and key private sector players. The ATIP COP will work hand-in-hand with the U.S. Investment Director to efficiently identify, develop, and facilitate deals between the U.S. and Africa. The COP will also develop partnerships with key private sector players and institutions to improve the business operating environment across Africa. Position is preferred to be based in Rockville, Maryland, but open to another location in Africa, and will report to the Home Office Project Director. This position is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the planning of project milestones and high-level goals in coordination with USAID, assist in the development of annual planning and timely, high quality implementation of activities and deliverables
- Represent ATIP with private sector institutions to promote interest in trade with Africa, present on potential opportunities for investment and trade at high-level meetings, especially those taking place in Africa
- Develop and manage relationships with key project stakeholders including private sector firms and institutions, USAID, US Government Agencies under the Prosper Africa Initiative, international donor organizations and development banks, and other institutional and research partners under the project
- Lead the strategy, and assist in the development of project communications, including public relations campaigns, targeted campaigns for the private sector, and the development of successes stories
- Serve as the manager and lead technical advisor providing guidance and oversight to regional offices focused on increased trade, increased investment, and/or improved business environment
- Manage coordination with the US-based project team and the US Trade and Investment Senior Director to ensure efficient facilitation of trade and investment deals
- Ensure the coordination of resources between regional offices such as knowledge management tools, short-term technical experts, and data for reporting
- Manage the project budget and ensure the submission of timely and accurate program, financial, and procurement reports
- Manage collaborative activities with partners across the regions
- MBA or a Master’s degree in trade, international business, economics, or related field is required
- 20 years of progressively responsible experience in one or several of the following technical sectors: trade, international value chain strengthening, access to finance; market systems; small and medium enterprise development growth; business enabling environment; and business development
- At least 10 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role is required
- Experience identifying and facilitating business-to-business linkages and promoting investment and trade deals is required
- Experience with priority sectors such as agriculture, agro processing, renewable energy, manufacturing, and technology is a plus
- Experience with trade and investment in Africa is required
- Experience with USAID is required
- Fluency in English is required, French or Arabic is a plus
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.