Job DescriptionPosition Summary
RTI’s Governance and Economic Development (GED) Division pursues innovative approaches and builds on best practices to create the foundation for and to promote democratic governance and economic development. Working alongside global partners, public institutions, the private sector, and civil society, we help build more effective, accountable, and responsive institutions and policies at the national, regional, and local levels of government. We have been a leader in the urban management sector for more than 30 years. We address urbanization challenges by engaging national and subnational governments, civil society organizations, and the private sector in coordinated, demand-driven solutions that change the incentives that lead to lasting insecurity, poverty and environmental degradation.
The GED Division is currently accepting applications for a Chief of Party to lead an anticipated five year USAID-funded Sustainable Development Activity (SDA) for Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH). The Sustainable Development Activity is intended to be a five-year program that will attempt to increase investments in clean energy and the energy-efficiency sectors of BiH while advancing the EU accession process for BiH related to energy efficiency and transport directives. There are expected to be four objectives to the program:
Objective 1: Address economic deficiencies of clean energy and energy-efficiency projects in the housing sector by applying new technologies and tax incentives, and communicating results.
Objective 2: Address legal and regulatory impediments to clean energy and energy-efficiency projects in the housing sector.
Objective 3: Achieve energy savings using fiscal policy tools and PPPs in the housing and transport sectors.
Objective 4: Advance EU accession requirements in the energy-efficiency sector.
The COP is responsible for providing strategic direction for the activity. She/he will lead all aspects of contract performance, providing technical guidance to all tasks under the contract, and representing the project•s activities as a whole to external audiences.
- Provide technical direction and leadership to a team of subject-matter experts in energy, climate change, and urban development, and using scientific data for decision-making.
- Serve as primary USAID counterpart for project; ensure compliance with all applicable USAID and host-country regulations.
- Liaise with high-level government officials about implementation of policy reforms that help secure investment BiH•s clean and renewable energy. Serve as a high-level convener for government officials, project developers, —and other stakeholders in setting the stage for a competitive electricity market and clean and renewable energy trade with neighboring countries and Europe.
- Master’s degree with expertise in urban development, engineering, energy (management, policy and regulation, development, financing), and /or related fields;
- Minimum 12 years of progressively responsible program management experience with USAID or other donors;
- Minimum 5 years of experience on project development of competitive electricity markets and harmonization of energy regulations with the European Union (EU);
- 5 years of experience with donor (preferably USAID) in implementing renewable energy policy/policy reforms in emerging markets;
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
About the OrganizationIDG Governance & Economic Development