Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Chief of Party (COP) for the upcoming USAID Furthering Health System Reforms in Ukraine (FHSR) Activity. The activity’s goal is to focus on health financing reforms to catalyze transformation in service delivery (both individual and population), incentivize results and outcomes, and use data as accelerators. This is to be effected through 1) regulatory system strengthening, 2) collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MoH) of the Government of Ukraine (GoU) and the National Health Service of Ukraine (NHSU) to optimize hospital efficiencies, 3) provision of universal health care coverage, 4) financial reforms at multiple levels, 5) private sector engagement, 6) encouragement of appropriate medicine usage, and 7) prioritization of public health and pharmaceuticals
The COP will be responsible for setting and leading the activity’s overall strategic direction, technical leadership, and implementation. The COP will represent Abt to promote and facilitate close coordination with involved GoU and inter-agency partners. They will also lead efforts to complement and collaborate with implementing partners working at regional, district, facility, and community level to work with the private sector and capitalize on existing opportunities and ongoing activities as appropriate.
Position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic direction, long-term programmatic vision, and technical leadership to produce activity results.
- Serves as the activity’s key liaison with USAID and other donor partners, and GoU counterparts at all levels.
- Provides leadership and technical support specifically for activity staff and subcontractors to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation.
- Monitors the progress and pace of activity implementation to assure that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high quality work and internal controls.
- Provides management leadership (programmatic, financial and administrative) for the activity ensuring full alignment with national and international standards for health service strengthening.
- Oversees the implementation of the activity to ensure the achievement of all activity objectives, deliverables and targets in a timely and efficient manner.
- Use continuous learning approaches to establish a culture of adaptive management that can readily respond to contextual shifts by adapting decision making, resource allocation, and implementation approaches/strategies as necessary.
- Guides implementation of the FHSR activity learning agenda to use assessments, reports, and evaluation to generate new knowledge and identify, disseminate, and respond to key lessons learned.
- Upholds the standards of Abt Associates to lead a high performing team and ensures strict compliance to USAID and Abt’s policies, regulations, and internal controls.
- Master’s Degree or higher in public health, health administration, health systems, health financing, pharmaceuticals management, or other relevant fields; medical degree preferred
- 15 years of senior-level experience designing, implementing, and managing or evaluating HSS programs
- Demonstrated technical depth and understanding of health finance reform and HSS including work in Eastern Europe or Central Asia
- Demonstrated management experience and familiarity with the health sector reform environment in Ukraine preferred
- Demonstrated success managing complex multi-donor programs is desired, previous USAID experience strongly preferred
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships with other projects, local organizations, host country governments, and international agencies
- Ukrainian or Russian language skills preferred although not required
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required
- Master’s degree and 10-12 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.