Devex is assisting an international non-profit organization that addresses the public health needs of developing countries in their search for a Chief of Party (COP) for an upcoming HIV Service Delivery Support Activity in Kenya funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The COP is responsible for meeting all project deliverables, ensuring data-driven results, managing financial and human resources and upholding financial integrity and compliance requirements of an anticipated USAID HIV clinical services project. The COP is responsible for overall leadership and management of the project, providing strategic guidance, vision and leadership to the entire project and coordination among USAID and key stakeholders and other implementing partners at the national and county government levels. S/he oversees all aspects of the program with a particular focus on the technical integrity of program design and implementation. S/he will supervise project implementation and ensure the project meets stated goals and reporting requirements. S/he provides vision and leadership for the project, ensures strong collaboration with other interfacing donor-funded projects, Government of Kenya (GOK) decision makers, stakeholders and other project partners/ collaborators to ensure the alignment and integration of the program with the GOK’s strategies and health sector priorities. S/he will report to the Kenya Country Director. S/he will collaborate and coordinate closely with US-based technical staff from the headquarters.
- Provide overall technical and managerial leadership for the project ensuring full alignment with GOK guidelines PEPFAR priorities and international standards for HIV clinical services
- Ensure the achievement of high quality results by IntraHealth, its sub-contractors and sub grantees
- Build an integrated and seamless vision amongst related technical components and all stakeholders with a emphasis at the county level , focusing on achieving results
- Serve as key liaison with USAID Kenya, the Ministry of Health (MOH), NASCOP GOK, and other stakeholders in developing and gaining approval for project work plans and budgets
- Identify obstacles and risk related to implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments to USAID and the home office
- Directly supervise and oversee the work of project staff, including subcontractors
- Oversee local finances and budgets, including managing all procurement and contracts/subcontract administration activities
- Lead communication and reporting to GOK entities such as the MOH
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in public health, social services, management, or business administration, or related field. Strong preference for candidates with HIV clinical background.
- At least twelve years of relevant experience, including 7+ years demonstrated, recent, experience within the capacity as senior staff in some aspect of HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment; and/or quality improvement/quality assurance; health systems strengthening; M&E; and operations research.
- At least seven years’ experience in managing complex public health programs or programs of similar scope and size, including program, financial and administration management, award contractual compliance, sub-award management, and tracking project performance and costs via specific funding streams.
- At least five years international (outside of Kenya) experience in development, managing, overseeing, and evaluating public health programs of similar size and complexity.
- Strong management skills, strategic vision, leadership qualities, professional reputation, ability to create synergies where applicable, interpersonal skills, and written and oral presentation skills to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the project description.
- Solid understanding of integrated health and HIV services and community health within the context of decentralized health systems in Kenya preferred
- Proven professional reputation and a proven success interacting with host country government agencies, counterparts, and USAID in Kenya
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English language.
- Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
- Innovation - Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
- Service Excellence - Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Organizational Stewardship – Approaches role and duties as a primary caretaker and steward of the organization, encourages a cooperative environment that focuses on placing the organization’s interests and success first before his/her’s, another individual, department or team.
- Client Relationship Management – Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy current client needs and maintain a partnering relationship during engagements; includes influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating; build and manage new relationships and collaborative alliances.
- Strategic Thinking – Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
- Business Acumen - Knowledge, insight, and application of business concepts, tools, and processes that are required for making sound decisions in the context of IntraHealth’s business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations; including supporting, identifying, assessing, and/or securing new business for the organization.
- Effective Communication - Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language (English and other required languages) appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate professional communication behaviors.